Tafe fees in WA for 2014

Enrica

I am not happy ! I enrolled my son to do a pre apprenticeship course at the Tafe, received the bill last we and thought they had made a mistake cost for a 6 month course for 3 days a week $2800 .

Last year that same course was $600.00, that's a 500% increase !!!!

You cannot even Hecs Tafe fees , so needless to say I am not a happy person.

Reason behind this increase in fees ... They want to give the Tafe courses more credibility , seriously increase your fees to give your course more credibility. Same course content , same instructors, just charge more.

That sucks. Sounds to me more like they charged you foreign student prices. Their excuse is laughable though, as if a higher charge brings more credibility.

No it's not foreign student prices, this is all their new fee structure. I think foreign students are around $15k now.

Hou eish. That's is then truly an unpleasant surprise. :cry:

That is ridiculous!!!

Apparently the courses (especially the free courses) were intended to get the people off from Centrelink and back into the workplace. What happened is, so many people did these courses and had several qualifications behind their names and still found it more convenient to rather sit on the couch at home and still collecting money from Centrelink.

They sit with families where as many as four generations are not, and never have, worked.

This indicated that the funds used to subsidise and partially subsidise the courses, were in fact wasted. Now these cuts have come into place. Bad news for many of us!

Edited by CherylC

I think the HECS equivalent for Tafe is VETASSESS. Gotta love Australia for it's endless acronyms.

VETASSESS is the skills recognition body.

For the Tafe equivalent of HECS, see http://studyassist.gov.au/sites/studyassist/helppayingmyfees/vet-fee-help/pages/vet-fee-help. Only applies to diploma and higher level courses at the moment, but there is a CERT IV trial running at the moment.

• Like 1

There are no "free courses" some one is pay , and at the moment I am not happy at paying $2800 plus $265.00 for 2 books and another $300.00 for the PPE that is required...

VETASSESS is the skills recognition body.

For the Tafe equivalent of HECS, see http://studyassist.gov.au/sites/studyassist/helppayingmyfees/vet-fee-help/pages/vet-fee-help. Only applies to diploma and higher level courses at the moment, but there is a CERT IV trial running at the moment.

Sorry Drought, I knew it was VET something. I should have looked it up! Good luck Enrika, studying is also costing us a fortune at the moment :-(