School fees, is there any advice for reduced fee's

magman

Hi All,

We have been trying to get our kids sorted in schools, but the problem is cause our visa is considered temp, so we have to pay the full shcool fees for foreigners.

Just an example, the one Christian school we were keen on, the School fee's were $6K per annum, then decrease for each child, so we would end up paying about $13k for the 3kids. But when we phoned today to enrol, we were told cause they foreign students, the fee's are $15000 each, making it about $45 000 per annum, and there is no discount for any siblings. That is cause we foreigners.

The government shcools are about $18000k per annum, which we may have to look to.

But any advice or tips, as we would be having to pay these fees for about 4 years to PR, as we on a 572 which means we only allowed to do 20hrs work a week!!!!

Hey magman, that sucks. Unfortunately you have to have PR to be considered not a foreigner. The first thing that we were asked for when we enrolled our child in a state school was the visa grant letter to ensure that we had PR otherwise we would have had to pay the full fees with no discounts. I don't see the point personally but that's just the way the system works. Unfortunately your only option would be to consider a cheaper private school (catholic) or state school, I know it's not ideal but it will be cheaper. There are some really good state schools out there, in fact my child is at a state school that is better than some of the private ones where we lived in South Africa.

Good luck with the hunt and I hope you manage to sort things out.

• Like 1

Magman,

You hail from my former neck of the woods. Where are you located? I am in North Perth, and pay 7k for two kids at an excellent Christian school, the best I have seen. I'm on a 457.....PR is still WIP....

Hey magman, that sucks. Unfortunately you have to have PR to be considered not a foreigner. The first thing that we were asked for when we enrolled our child in a state school was the visa grant letter to ensure that we had PR otherwise we would have had to pay the full fees with no discounts. I don't see the point personally but that's just the way the system works. Unfortunately your only option would be to consider a cheaper private school (catholic) or state school, I know it's not ideal but it will be cheaper. There are some really good state schools out there, in fact my child is at a state school that is better than some of the private ones where we lived in South Africa.

Actually thats not totally correct. It depends which state you are in.

In QLD it depends on your visa as to whether or not you pay International Student rates. You definately dont when you are on a 457, and I *think* some of the student visas too.

Each state has its own set of rules, so you'll need to check for the state you're looking at.

Heofjj, howsit bud,

We are in a Canning Vale, which is a lakka area south of the river, but the local senior school has a bad reputation, even the one pvt school we just been to, said avoid it like the plague, and we did chat to an SA tannie that works there.

The other problem we hasseling with is the catchment areas for some of the better state schools, and their waiting lists.

What was suggested to us is to consider home schooling

I think we look at using my boets area he lives in, Kardinya, and look in the schools for that catchment area.

Also alot of the state schhols only open their admin dept in two weeks

Magman,

You hail from my former neck of the woods. Where are you located? I am in North Perth, and pay 7k for two kids at an excellent Christian school, the best I have seen. I'm on a 457.....PR is still WIP....

Hey bud, we in Canning vale, south of the river,

The lady we just spoke to, at a pvt school, said they have a list of all the differant visa types, and depending which visa you are on, is what you will pay. I think like a 457 visa, is part funded by the state, where as our 572, you have no funding assisstance.

Not sure why all the states have to do their own thing when it comes to education. QLD is the worst by far in terms on nanny states.

I'm just greatful for where we are and that my child is happy. Good uck magman.

Don't say that HEOJJ,

I wanna over over there!!!! Nanny state, lol. Canning vale is too far south for me to help you magman.

Hi Magman

That really does suck... Hope you get something sorted.

I was told that the Catholic Schools charge less for international students than the government schools. Not sure if this is true, I do not have school going children.

Hi Magman

Government schools should be charging you a fee of ....................in WA

• Pre-Primary - $5,600 per annum
  • Primary (Year 1 – 7) - $5,600 per annum
  • Lower Secondary (Year 8-10) - $6,500per annum
  • Upper Secondary (Year 11 -12) - $7,500 per annum

http://www.eti.wa.edu.au/studying-at-schools/policies-regarding-enrolling-the-dependents-of-students-exchange-programs-and-study-tours.html

In this case I would definitely go private, but rather look at Catholic schools, they tend to be cheaper than private and usually will offer decreased fees for each subsequent child. My daughter attended Santa Clara in St James and I couldn't even afford to pay the full fee and they were really great and helped me out.

Unfortunately it is one of the requirements of the 572 visa that you prove you have funds to cover school costs for shool aged children.............I do know that if you are on a 457 and earning a low wage, you can aply for an exemption, but there doesn't seem to be anything similar for your visa.

I'll keep looking.

It sucks!

Are you talking Canning Vale State School (just nod :jester: ). Dont know why I got that impression from my internet search, I am working in CV makes sense to stay there as its convenient and affordable but the school is a problem!

Think we got sorted, the pvt Christian school we spoke too, phoned later this afternoon, to say that they have spoken to their admin department, and will see if they can match what we will have to pay the state schools, so that will mean about $18k for our three kids, instead of the $45k,

I was told that the Catholic Schools charge less for international students than the government schools. Not sure if this is true, I do not have school going children.

This is case of the right hand not knowing what the left is doing. The Catholic School is often cheaper because they are still getting the government subsidy for the child and this is built into the fee. So the government takes it away when providing state education, but gives it back when private education is sought.