Melbourne neighbourhoods close to CBD/bay while also close to nature/forests

mistermoose

Hi guys

I've had a look at some of the Bayside areas (like Mentone for example) but would appreciate knowing if any areas close-ish to the bay are also close to forests/nature/national parks? Something like Frenchs Forest in Sydney I guess, that backs onto beautiful woodland. Anything like this in Melbourne?

Thanks!

Sorry Mistermoose, unfortunately your wish cannot be granted for Melbourne. We have a number of national parks but nothing anywhere near the city or Bayside areas. You would have to travel to the outskirts of Melbourne to find that.

We have some lovely parks, some of which are quite big, but definitely no forests.

• Like 1

Yes unfortunately here you choose either the flattish bayside area or more hilly bushland area - we chose the bush! You can even live in a forest at Mt Dandenong but then again far away from the beach.

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback guys. I thought it might be pushing things a bit :)

Which areas would you suggest for forest/park-like settings, close enough to town to commute (max 30mins)?

I would be inclined to say none! At best, I think, it would take you around 45 minutes or more and that would just be your train journey, not door to door.

• Like 1

We live in Croydon Hills (used to live in Wonga Park which is more rural) and the train takes around 40 minutes for my husband but he doesn't mind as he works on the train. And it takes 10 minutes to drive to the station. So yes probably an hour door to door depending on the client he is working for (which could also be in Sydney or Singapore!)

Another option is the area around Eltham which is lovely, but would probably also take around the same time.

Also we don't really have huge forests around but plenty of bushland right across the road with a few lakes and also the Warrandyte river and the large Warrandyte reserve nearby.

If we go into the city on weekends for fun we drive and it takes around 30 minutes on the Eastlink.

Edited by Sibella
  • Like 1

Thanks Sibella. Croydon Hills and Eltham look lovely! Macclesfield, I've discovered, is also a great option. Thanks for the great input :) :) :)

We're in Greensborough and love it. Our house is 50m from plenty gorge park, which is a national park and we're surrounded by birds, roos, and all sorts of bush life, yet we're only 18km from the city.

It takes us an hour door to door including driving to the station and walking to the office. We drive to Watsonia and catch the train because parking is better there. I think the express train is 32 minutes to Flinders St from Watsonia.

We're 2 stops closer in than Eltham, so add about 10 minutes for Eltham, which is also lovely by the way. A bit more expensive though.

Highly reccomend both areas.

• Like 1

Whilst you are looking around for a place to stay, just a suggestion that I tend to make, as follows:

If you plan on buying a home, eventually, it is always wise to choose to stay in a suburb where you can afford to buy. You then get settled here, get to know your surroundings, find doctors, dentists, schools, shopping, etc in the area and make yourself at home. If you rent in an area where you cannot afford to buy, then you and your family go through huge upheaval in order to move again, possibly to an area that you are totally unfamiliar with.

• Like 1

Thanks Mara!

By the way, do you have any suggestions of places to view on Google Street View that highlight the best of Melbourne nature, attractions, tree-lined streets, bay views, mountains, etc? :)

Mistermoose, it would be difficult for me to give you what you ask for above. I do not live on the east side of Melbourne, which is where you have been looking.

Bay views, would be extremely costly, definitely to buy and probably to rent as well. I would think that you would probably be looking at rents of around $700 per week. If you pick up google maps and check out Melbourne, from St Kilda past Brighton, Black Rock, and down to Mornington Peninsula, you will be able to pick up all the bay side suburbs. Most of your inner eastern suburbs will be tree lined as they are old established suburbs.

Again looking at the maps, if you go to the fringes on the east side, from Eltham in the north east to Wonga Park on the east and down and around to Ferntree Gully in the south east, you will have treed and hills to look at.

I live in the north west of Melbourne in a village called Sunbury. If you want to see trees and beauty, type in Fullwood Drive, Sunbury, absolutely gorgeous. If you are after bigger sections, check out The Skyline, Sunbury. Sunbury is the last village within the Greater Melbourne Area, the train takes about 40mins but that is not door to door, you would have to add the time it takes to get you from your home to the station and from the station to your work.

Hope this has helped in some way.

• Like 1

Happy to help, glad you liked them.

• Like 1