Salary

Eliza

Hi everybody, just a couple of questions. My wife is a 5 year secondary food and textile teacher and we are trying to work out our expenses would be but don't know how much she will earn +-. Can someone help please. We just resently receive our visa and are very very very happy about it but don't know if we should take the chance and make the move and look for work their or stay and secure a job first. We don't know where to move to I guess we'll go where she gets a job! Any advise would be appreciated!

Dankie

• Like 1

Riaan, before anybody can answer your question about what your wife would earn, they would have to know which state in Australia you are planning to reside in. In Australia teachers earn different salaries in the different states, it is not a one size fits all situation.

With teacher registrations I think you may have difficulty in securing a job for her whilst you are still in RSA, but I will leave that question for the teachers already here to answer.

• Like 1

Hi , we were thinking of NSW or WA Perth but we haven't reg jet becouse we don't know in which Region she would find the work. She has sent her CV to a few agency's. We are actually based in uk. I'm South African ( cheetah ) and my wife is British.

Salary scales for WA public school teachers- not much different in the independent and Catholic school sectors.

(Level 2.1 is for new graduates, so if all teaching experience is recognised, then your wife should start on level 2.6)

http://det.wa.edu.au/careers/detcms/navigation/category.jsp?categoryID=14081653

• Like 1

My wife is a teacher, although we're both retired nowadays.

You'll probably have heaps of difficulty getting a job from outside Australia other than a very remote or tough school which finds it hard to attract good teachers . . . . . not the sort of situation you really want to find yourselves in on first coming to Australia.

My advice is to make a plan to save up for the flights and to go thro the first couple of months without an income. There would be expenses on the way, such as renting for the first couple of months and paying a four or six week bond on top as a guarantee to the landlord that you're going to look after his / her premises.

You'll find some things in Australia are more expensive (food, clothing) while others are much cheaper (petrol, insurance)

Overall, on a whole basket of groceries and services, the cost of living work out about the same as in England, but the bonus is that you'll usually be earning more in the workforce doing the same sort of job in Australia.

So . . . . it's your choice to be unadventurous and stay in England or bite the bullet, live on the wild side of life and head out to the Promised Land.

• Like 1

Hi Bob

You are very convincing, I think we are going to bite the bullet and come to the promest land as you said. But not just yet, we are going to save a bit more and hopefully make the big move in June July.

Thanks again

Riaan

• 5 weeks later...

Riaan just be very careful. I know of highly qualified teachers that just cannot find work even after a year. It is very difficult. My impression is that WA has a slightly better job market for teachers, but in Brisbane it is very very tough. I don't want to scare you but please be careful. Do a lot of research. Also June/July is not when schools hire...also a basket of groceries is a lot more expensive here than in England. Good luck!! Check job opportunities on Seek.com.au. You could also talk to HadenoughofJuju, whose wife is a teacher and get his opinion.

• Like 1