Child Care Rebate question

rikamarie

Hi everyone

I am currently looking for a childcare centre for our (almost) 3 year old. Most centres are between $1200-$1600 per month. We are permanent residents and therefore qualify for the Child care rebate. How does this work?

I have read that you can choose how it pays out.. Directly to the school, in your bank account monthly or yearly etc. We arrive in January 2014. I want it to pay directly to the school. If we apply at centrelink early January, how long before it starts paying out to the centre?

I don't want to choose the most expensive school and then we are stuck paying it for months before CCR pays out.

Thank you

Rika-Marie

We just went through the process of applying for the child care rebate and it can be a rather lengthy process. You can only apply for the CCR if you receive family tax benefit a or b payments which you will have to apply for first and both are income based assessments.

You can do everything online which works out quicker and they even have an app for android and iphones.

Before you can aply for the CCR you need to make sure that your child's vaccinations are up to date and on par with the Australian system and you can only do that by seeing a doctor and taking along your immunization cards. The doctors will then submit the information to the national immunization database and you will the receive an immunization statement from Medicare stating which vaccinations are outstanding if any. If there are any that need to be caught up you will need to have those done first after which you will receive another statement from medicare and only then will you be able to apply for the CCR assuming that you qualify for the family tax benefit a or b payment.

After doing all the above and all the running around we found out yesterday that we dont qualify for any rebates because we earn above the minimum threshold for the CCR.

There are two different payments that you could utilise and judging by the disparity between your topic title and post, you seem unclear about the difference:

1. Child Care Benefit http://www.mychild.gov.au/pages/CCBenefit.aspx

2. Child Care Rebate http://www.mychild.gov.au/childcarerebate/default.aspx

Option 1 above is paid directly to the school. It is income tested and varies according to your income. You get allocated a percentage by Centrelink. So for example you could get 100% if your income is very low. But this is 100% of approved rate. I am not sure what the current approved rates are but lets say it is $5 per hour. If you child is in a full day the CCB will pay 100% of 11 hours = $55. If you daycare charges $70 for example you will have to pay in $15.00 out of your pocket per day

Option 2 is to cover your out of pocket expences. You will only qualify for this if you either work or volunteer or study a set amount of hours per week. I think it is 15 hours. CCR also has a cap of about $7500 a year. This amount is paid out quaterly or annually direct to you.

EDIT: I see the current approved rates are $3.99 per hour. Therefore you will get a percentage of this paid for you according to your income. For example 80%. Therefore for a full day, CCB will pay 11 hours x 3.99 x 80% = $35.11. The balance you will pay. There is a calculator where you can check what you will receive. http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/enablers/online-estimators

Hi there. Thanks for the replies. Obviously feel like an idiot... :whome: Thought I understood it correctly. But I got my answer. Thanks

After doing all the above and all the running around we found out yesterday that we dont qualify for any rebates because we earn above the minimum threshold for the CCR.

Are you sure? I'm pretty sure the CC benefits are means tested but the CC rebate is not. We don't qualify for benefits but still get the rebate...

just my 2cents worth! LOl!: Proper Full-time Child-Care (as we know from RSA) for kiddies under 4/5 is HARD to come by!! Remember too it needs to be an approved (CCB) child-care centre too otherwise you WON'T get the rebate.

In our case out here there is very limited service....Isabella...who is just over 3yrs is only eligible to go to the local Kindy as of NEXT yr only & for 1 day in the wk for just UNDER half a day!! Hmmmmm.....

Are you sure? I'm pretty sure the CC benefits are means tested but the CC rebate is not. We don't qualify for benefits but still get the rebate...

According to Centrelink we have a 0% CCB but qualify for 50 hours a week child care. Not sure if that means we will get anything. Hope so but not counting on it.

According to Centrelink we have a 0% CCB but qualify for 50 hours a week child care. Not sure if that means we will get anything. Hope so but not counting on it.

Yep, so that means you'll still get the rebate. We get about half of what we pay back, paid into our bank accout every fortnight up to $7500 a year. (If your kids are in full time care that limit is reached quicker!)

See here, there are some examples further down the page.

http://www.mychild.gov.au/pages/news_270912_ccb.aspx

The child care rebate is nor means tested, the only changes are that the new government has frozen it at $7500 per year for the next few years..................so far.

HEOJ, surely you qualify for Family Tax benefit part B, the cut off point is $150 000 http://www.careforkids.com.au/articlesv2/article.asp?ID=20

We qualify for both the family tax a and b benefits. We jusy earn too much for the child care benifit but qualify for 50 hours a week for child care (rebate) which they only pay half of the hourly rate.

It's awesome having these kind of first world problems. :P

• Like 2

Sorry to steer off course, but how long after applying for tax benefits did you hear anything from centrelink? Applied 23 sep.

It took them a good 30 days to respond. I do know that they have a very high work load at the moment. A call to the call center will have you on hold for 50 minutes minimum before they answer.

Have you downloaded the express app and registered? It does speed things up if all your submissions are done online.

Did everything online and posted the docs they wanted. Been 2 and a half months...

Maybe I should call... (I dread the hour waiting on the telephone :unsure: )

Did everything online and posted the docs they wanted. Been 2 and a half months...

Maybe I should call... (I dread the hour waiting on the telephone :unsure: )

I went into a centrelink department to do all the applications. Its a much better experience than for example UIF in SA :ilikeit: It took a few visits but eventually everything was in place and we had our rebate paid at source. Not had a bother since.

If you goto one of the Centrelink offices they put you on one of their phones and it's an internal call. That way you don't pay a fortune dialing a 1300 number.

• Like 1

Just a quick question, is there an age limit for that (kids) ? My kids are all in school. Two in primary and 1 in high school next year. We do qualify for FTB a and b

This link just says that your child has to be attending an approved child care facility so I would guess the rebate would then be governed by whether or not the child care centers have age limits.

http://www.mychild.gov.au/childcarerebate/

Just a quick question, is there an age limit for that (kids) ? My kids are all in school. Two in primary and 1 in high school next year. We do qualify for FTB a and b

Unless you put your primary school children and your high school child in daycare for 1-4 year olds, I think you will have a tough time getting a refund for money spent on child care. :P

If I'm not mistaken, you still get a rebate for before and after school care. Am looking into this now. Monster #1 is starting school in the new year.

Haha thanks Jordy. Thought so

• 2 weeks later...

You get rebate on OSHC (out of school hours care) as well if your kids are in primary school. Generally around 1/2 of what you pay to the school. FTB a and b are family tax benefits and depend on your salary. Under 17000 a year you get both, under 150 000 a year you get one. You can elect to have all of these benefits paid weekly or at tax year end. Currently we take the Rebate weekly and do FTB at tax year end.