Mini container?

gordonza

Hi All,

My wife and I will be moving across in July next year but will not be taking anthing too large with us preferring to rather purchase on that side once we know where we will be living.

Having said that we will still be taking clothes, books, some electronics and some of our kitchen stuff.

All in all we reckon we will need a very small container, I think they are called mini containers.

Can anyone recommend a company that is reliable for moving either a couple of boxes or a mini container?

Thanks!

Gordon

You only get 20ft and 40ft containers to move internationally, nothing smaller than that. You would have to ask for space in a shared container, but that could mean you may wait quite a long time for your stuff to arrive. There are other companies that have been mentioned here, if you just want to ship a few boxes. Unfortunately I have no idea who they are, but I am sure someone will soon point you in the right direction.

Thanks guys, I'll look into both those options.

We used a large move cube from sevenseas. its 6m2 and holds quite a lot at much less than a container price.

Cost us R12000 from Dbn to Bris. Could fit most of our household stuff, a couch and a few pieces of furniture (long tables, chest of drawers etc). We did not take a bed, fridge etc

Its a very good option when not talking too many bulky things

Thanks MrandMrsK,

The quote I got from them for a large move cube from Johannesburg to Brisbane is R15000. I notice on the bottom of the quote there is mention of a destination charge of AU$550. Plus I can add loss cover for an additional R1440 (which gives a total loss cover of R72000 for a large move cube).

Question, does the R15000 also include the destination charge or was that over and above the quote?

Obviously the insurance is extra?? :)

Presumably we would pack and unpack ourselves?

Thanks!

Gordon

HI Gordon

Yes you pack and unpack yourselves...that exemplifies them from almost anything that can go wrong with your goods. Reading the T&C's we did not feel that it was likely that we would ever be able to claim for anything except a drowning ship, and that our goods were not worth the value anyway. We chose not to purchase additional insurance, but rather leave the insurance as it comes.

The destination charge seems to be a goods inspection fee for here in Oz. you only pay when it arrives, so it is not part of the initial quote.

Other fees that you could encounter is if the inspection shows any items that need to be destroyed or treated, you pay for this in addition, per item, even for destroying. Luckily we did not have this problem, but we were very careful not to pack banned goods. they certainly went through our thing with a fine tooth comb by the number of inspection labels on our boxes!

Thanks a lot for the info, very useful!!

• 1 year later...

How long did it take to get to your destination?