Engineers and the Washington Accord

Frenchy

Hi There

If there's any Engineers out there who have already had their skills assesment done by Engineers Australia, can you answer the following q?

Is it necessary to belong to ECSA (Engineering Council of South Africa) in order to qualify for the Washington Accord? I don't want to send in my application and then find out that I had to be a member.

Thanks...any help will be great

Frenchy's Husband

Guest Karla

Hi Frenchy's Husband

No, you don't have to belong to any institutes.

We only sent in our English degrees, university printouts (in English) of all our subjects and the marks and an up to date CV.

And received our certificates within a month.

No sweat.

k.

Hi Frenchy's Husband

No, you don't have to belong to any institutes.

We only sent in our English degrees, university printouts (in English) of all our subjects and the marks and an up to date CV.

And received our certificates within a month.

No sweat.

k.

Hi Karla, just another question. What do you mean when you say "english degrees" - did you need to translate your Degree certificate into english or did you send a degree done in English?

Did you write the IELTS (English Language Test), the website say that you need to do this.

Regards

FH

Guest Larry

If your degree certificate is not in English, you will need to submit a certified translation. Prior to about 1980, Wits degree certificates were issued in Latin. I had to submit an official English translation of my engineering degree certificate, which I obtained from the university.

Hi

I got my degree certified last year and you don't have to be part of ECSA, however, maybe just ask engineers australia to post your certificate registered mail. They ordinarily post normal mail and I had TWO letters lost in the mail. (On the South African side, no doubt). Basically delayed the time that I submitted my application to DIMA by 3 months. And also, when you get your documents certified make sure that the name and contact details of the certifier are visible.

Best of Luck

Hi Frenchy,

It is true. You don’t need to be a member of ECSA to have your skills assessed by IEAust.

However, the Washington Accord goes more about international recognition for professional status and not so much for immigration. They do check however that your degree is from a reputable training institution.

In order for you to register as a certified professional engineer (Pr Eng) you will need to gain at least three years post graduation experience if you do not have a Masters degree and I believe one year if you do hold a Masters. Depending on your field of study and area of application, you need to submit proof that you have gained the necessary experience in various fields as determined by the council. This would typically include Project Management, Financial Management, Systems engineering, etc.

When applying for Pr status, you will need to submit a detailed work report on all the major projects that you have been working on. The reports need to be approved by your boss. In addition, you will need to have two referees reports sent to the council to support your application. Ideally these should be compiled and submitted by approved members from ECSA or similar. Once screened and approved by the Council, you will then be invited for an interview whereby the board will assess your suitability.

Having said that, you can also apply for professional status in Australia through IEAust. (That is after all what the Washington Accord is all about.)

However, you might find this route a bit more difficult. Remember, once you’ve changed jobs, and for that matter, changed country, having access to all your work reports and referee reports may be problematic.

Although I obtained my Pr Eng status in SA and had my skills assessed accordingly by IEAust before coming over, I again had to apply to have my skills assessed in Australia. This time I had to apply to CASA (Civil Airworthiness and Safety Authority). Trust me. Being in Australia and trying to get company confidential reports from SA to support your application is not easy!

Like I said, I personally waited to obtain my Pr Eng status before coming to Australia. It was then just a matter of including my ECSA certificate along with my degrees and CV to IEAust.

‘Hope it helps. For specific detail to applying for Pr Eng status, go to www.ecsa.co.za.

“Sterkte”

PS Geting your degrees in English is not a problem. Just contact the University and ask them for english transcripts of your degree and accademic results.

Edited by Sparrow