How do you enrol your child in a school when you dont have a rental?

BriD

So I am wondering how we do this school thing...starting to really stress me out!!!

If you are legally required to send your child to school but don't have a rental yet and therefore cannot get into a zoned area then how do you combat that?

I have sent a few emails to various Melbourne primary schools in the South East. I have not received any replies yet (only sent them yesterday).

I just don't know how we will get Amy to start prep year on time if we can only get there on the 30th Jan earliest.... :blink:

Relax. Things seem to work out whether you worry or not. We arrived at the start of the second term. We decided after landing (and seeing the school that we THOUGHT would be a good school for our daughter) that our order of doing things would have to change.

We then first looked around until we found a school that we liked (we were doing this for our daughter after all). We then started hunting for rentals in the area (as the school was zoned). After securing the rental (signing the rental agreement) we were able to enroll her...2 weeks after the schools had started for the second term. Then we looked for (and miraculously found) a job not too far away from where we live.

Honesly, she was fine! Our nerves were SHOT but we realized that the school did a lot to help our daughter to assimilate. She picked up so much so quickly that I can honestly say we worried for nothing.

My advice to you: Find a school you like ASAP. Then work around that. Our daughter is happy and we are VERY chuffed with her state school. If your kid misses a couple of days or weeks it will not be the end of the world.

Edited to add that she is in Prep and, despite missing a term of reading instruction, she has managed to catch up with (and even surpass) her classmates.

Edited by OnYellowBrickRd
  • Like 3

It doesn't matter if she starts on time, people move a lot in Australia and children come and go throughout the year. State schools have to take the child if you live in their zone, private schools have to be contacted individually.

Listen to OYBR's advice, they chose a school and then once here in Australia decided it was not what they wanted.........you really have to see them for yourself.........and then moved to an area in which they liked the school.

I do think that they were lucky that it all came together so well, most people choose an area and then look for a school.

Please don't take offence, I know that getting into the right school is important in RSA, but the curriculum is pretty consistent here and the average 5 or 6 year old will be learning pretty much the same thing, no matter the cost/status of the school.

Choosing a school can be complex, I would definitely look at the socio-economic statistics for the area as a matter of common sense, but still maintain that it is the quality of the teaching staff that makes a difference, be it a public or private school.

May is still trying to find the right school for her boys, despite putting them in one of Brisbanes best. Other people don't have much choice if they go to a small town you pretty much have to accept what schools you have, but no matter what, the mix of students going on to University is a pretty mixed bag, and I can see very little difference in those educated either privately or in public school.

If I had a choice I would choose a good state school for primary education and a private or catholic school for secondary education.

Have a look at the link Nev supplied and click on what children learn in kindergarten/prep to give yourself an idea of what to look for when visiting schools.

If I have to be honest, I think the attitude of the parents has just as much to do with how well a child does at school, some parents don't care and never take the time to read a book to their children and some do care.

OYBR is a teacher, the very worst of student parents so I'm told .................only joking OYBR, but generally teacher parents expect more from a school and she is happy with her daughters school.

Recommendation's from other parents are a good starting point, but still follow your instinct when you physically visit the schools.

Try not to stress too much about this, probably work is a bigger stress, after all without work, the best laid plans may have to be changed.

You will find a school you like, she will settle and grow and learn.

• Like 1

Okay so bottom line is don't stress....

Now if I could only get this into my thick skull!!!

• Like 1

Okay so bottom line is don't stress....

Now if I could only get this into my thick skull!!!

You can't, it's too hard.....lol....it is only when you have arrived and sorted everything out that you think, " what was going on with me back then, I was acting like a crazy woman, I can't imagine I was so stressed over that". :)

I agree with Andrea, do not stress, the best laid plans sometimes goes awry, just go with the flow... Believe that it will all come together. If the child was in it's last years of school it may be more important to get sorted, but for a child starting school, a week or six later, is not going to be the end of the world!

Thank you all so very much for your thoughts. I really appreciate it.

Andrea, not at all offended. It is not at all about the status or anything like that. I guess it is a South African mentality of the need to find the school that will offer my children the best education they can get to give them the best possible start in life education wise. And yes...absolutely agree that the parents have a huge role to play in it. I am not at all concerned about status..,just trying my best to figure out from so far away what school would be right for them. But like you all said...it is not really a decision I can make now...I have to see them.

You really all helped so much to put it all into perspective. As much as I would like her to start on time...it is just not to be...and it is just prep...not matric or anything. So thanks for giving me a kindly kick into a more realistic approach. You are all awesome!! I feel much calmer now.

Thanks Brid, for understanding what I was trying to say. I don't think you are the status type person and I do understand that part of what we are doing is for our children, so trying to get it right for them is important................but I just think that this very first year of school is about play and belonging, yes they learn, but it is more the manner in which they learn, a safe, nurturing environment that encourages and supports them...........the academic pressure comes later, maybe by about year 3 or around there, they are expected to know how to behave and be self-motivated etc............the school system is very different here, less rigid and conformist and more adaptive to each childs needs and talents............I'm not saying it is perfect, but I feel that parents are able to be involved in their child's education far more here.

I'd really like to hear what OYBR thinks, from a teachers perspective, having taught in RSA and seeing how it is done here.

School will work out, you will find one you like............this I know. The biggest stress I can see is finding work and possibly a rental, but that also depends on many factors, however I feel that at least with schools you will have some sort of control/choice.

When we first arrived in Australia it was mid December when we looked for a rental with absolutely no budget, it had to be a real cheapie, so we ended p in a not so great area, but no major problems anyway, then cam time to enrol Jade in school.

There was a catholic school and I was told that they gave first preference to catholic children etc, so I went to the state school around the corner. The head,aster was nice enough and said, so we'll see Jade on Monday then................the hackles on my neck rose, this school didn't feel right, the student mix was at the lower end of the socio-economic scale...............now I'm not being snobby, but factually there will be more children with behavioural problems etc at such a school and this was confirmed by what I saw in the school............I couldn't get out of there fast enough.

I went back to the catholic school, which was in my street, Santa Clara, it was called and got an appointment to see the headmistress.

We're not catholic, I blurted out and I've just been to the other school and there is no way I can put my daughter in there...........and then I burst into tears.

This was one of the very many special moments I have had with people in Australia. The headmistress said she would see what she could do. I explained that we were newly here on a 457 with limited funds ($5000) and like most people had emigrated to provide a better life for our kids.

The headmistress told me that her family had actually accommodated a lot of new migrants in their home when she was growing up and she knew how tough it was...........lonf story short, they made a space and even did some fancy wangling so I could pay off a uniform and reduced the fees to the bare minimum for me.

They were like family to me and I will never forget their kindness...........and my daughter got off to a good start in a good school.

We've moved twice since then, but Santa Clara will always hold a special place in my heart.

• Like 1

Hi BriD

We live in the south east of Melbourne and have one child in Prep, the other in Grade 3.

I would wait until you arrive, then visit all of the schools in the areas you want to live in, and only then decide which one you like. To be honest, you are spoilt for choice over here, most of the primary schools are great. Depending on exactly which part of the south east you are looking at, I can give you quite a lot of info on local schools having done the research myself.

Preps actually only start proper school in March. Although the school term starts on 1st Feb (it differs from school to school), they actually only start a regular school going schedule in March. The first month is all about settling in, and getting prepared for the year, and they don't go to school every day. It is nice to be there for the first month, but you probably won't miss out on any learning.

Also, the pace of learning is fairly relaxed, so it will be easy to catch up. Prep is mostly about having fun, learning along the way is a bit of a bonus ;)

Find your suburb, which probably depends on your choice of school, then find a rental .. one step at a time. Unless they are a zoned school (and I've not seen many primary schools), you will find it easy enough to get in. I doubt you'll get too many responses when you contact them from overseas.

And they are pretty relaxed about school attendance, so if it takes you a month or two to get organised really don't stress yourself, rather be sure of your decision of location.

Have a look at ReadingEggs.com.au - you could sign up for that and have her doing some work there just so she is doing something in the interim.

Contact me if I can help you with anything.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Lol we were off school for six weeks when we arrived and my eldest was in Grade 4. It didn't even occur to me to rush to get them to school before we moved to our permanent rental even though we found a school. I just didn't feel like driving 25 minutes every morning.

So yes don't stress, schools are very relaxed here!

Heard this novel idea! (Although I doubt I would ever have the long-term guts to do it!) Somebody we met here in town has 3 boys & they are touring Australia next again (They have done this before) They go from town to town +-2-3 or 3-4wks a time & go cross-country...take the kids to school & put them in the Government schools along the way as apparently they "cannot refuse to admit a qualifying child"!! Either that or they home-school them along the way!

I don't really understand why you would do that, just home school them. I don't think that you can blend the two as you see fit, as you have to register for home schooling, and there is a reporting system that you have to comply with as far as I'm aware.

Hi mcbear

I am new to this site, my family and I are in the final stages , awaiting our190 visa app for melbourne

we are looking to live in the bayside area (have not yet narrowed it down exactly where), but would nonetheless really appreciate it , if you could provide me with a list of good state schools as you communicated with an earlier member of this forum

thanking you

Naz

I've met many families along the years who are taking off a year to tour the country and the kids have their laptops and do distance education. There is a bit of difference between home schooling and distance ed though, and yes, depending on the state rules, there are reporting mechanisms in place.

I can't see the point of having them in a school for 2 or 3 weeks, that is not enough time for teachers to assess them etc, unless the parents are doing the bulk of the education and utilising schools along the way for social interaction etc.

State schools do have to take children who live in their zone...............once classes reach a certain size, the schools can then be allowed to either do a composite class or hire another teacher if needed.

It is such a shame as planning for next years classes is well under way, but so much changes before Feb

Hi BriD

We live in the south east of Melbourne and have one child in Prep, the other in Grade 3.

I would wait until you arrive, then visit all of the schools in the areas you want to live in, and only then decide which one you like. To be honest, you are spoilt for choice over here, most of the primary schools are great. Depending on exactly which part of the south east you are looking at, I can give you quite a lot of info on local schools having done the research myself.

Preps actually only start proper school in March. Although the school term starts on 1st Feb (it differs from school to school), they actually only start a regular school going schedule in March. The first month is all about settling in, and getting prepared for the year, and they don't go to school every day. It is nice to be there for the first month, but you probably won't miss out on any learning.

Also, the pace of learning is fairly relaxed, so it will be easy to catch up. Prep is mostly about having fun, learning along the way is a bit of a bonus ;)

Find your suburb, which probably depends on your choice of school, then find a rental .. one step at a time. Unless they are a zoned school (and I've not seen many primary schools), you will find it easy enough to get in. I doubt you'll get too many responses when you contact them from overseas.

And they are pretty relaxed about school attendance, so if it takes you a month or two to get organised really don't stress yourself, rather be sure of your decision of location.

Have a look at ReadingEggs.com.au - you could sign up for that and have her doing some work there just so she is doing something in the interim.

Contact me if I can help you with anything.

Good luck!

Thanks so much for this. It really helps knowing the proper schooling only starts in March...that is good news for me.

I would love to see the list you gathered...that would really be helpful!!

Thanks Brid, for understanding what I was trying to say. I don't think you are the status type person and I do understand that part of what we are doing is for our children, so trying to get it right for them is important................but I just think that this very first year of school is about play and belonging, yes they learn, but it is more the manner in which they learn, a safe, nurturing environment that encourages and supports them...........the academic pressure comes later, maybe by about year 3 or around there, they are expected to know how to behave and be self-motivated etc............the school system is very different here, less rigid and conformist and more adaptive to each childs needs and talents............I'm not saying it is perfect, but I feel that parents are able to be involved in their child's education far more here.

I'd really like to hear what OYBR thinks, from a teachers perspective, having taught in RSA and seeing how it is done here.

School will work out, you will find one you like............this I know. The biggest stress I can see is finding work and possibly a rental, but that also depends on many factors, however I feel that at least with schools you will have some sort of control/choice.

When we first arrived in Australia it was mid December when we looked for a rental with absolutely no budget, it had to be a real cheapie, so we ended p in a not so great area, but no major problems anyway, then cam time to enrol Jade in school.

There was a catholic school and I was told that they gave first preference to catholic children etc, so I went to the state school around the corner. The head,aster was nice enough and said, so we'll see Jade on Monday then................the hackles on my neck rose, this school didn't feel right, the student mix was at the lower end of the socio-economic scale...............now I'm not being snobby, but factually there will be more children with behavioural problems etc at such a school and this was confirmed by what I saw in the school............I couldn't get out of there fast enough.

I went back to the catholic school, which was in my street, Santa Clara, it was called and got an appointment to see the headmistress.

We're not catholic, I blurted out and I've just been to the other school and there is no way I can put my daughter in there...........and then I burst into tears.

This was one of the very many special moments I have had with people in Australia. The headmistress said she would see what she could do. I explained that we were newly here on a 457 with limited funds ($5000) and like most people had emigrated to provide a better life for our kids.

The headmistress told me that her family had actually accommodated a lot of new migrants in their home when she was growing up and she knew how tough it was...........lonf story short, they made a space and even did some fancy wangling so I could pay off a uniform and reduced the fees to the bare minimum for me.

They were like family to me and I will never forget their kindness...........and my daughter got off to a good start in a good school.

We've moved twice since then, but Santa Clara will always hold a special place in my heart.

What a heartwarming story Andrea!! I love hearing about good people...they are so few and far between these days.