Budget, Can someone help?

KalahariHarry

Hi All,

I Am busy with Settlement statement.

Some things i cant figure on my own

Life insurance, Income insurance, gas, electric, water, council rates,contents insurance,car insurance, car registration,daycare x 1, for a 1year old by the time we get there, ambulance cover,private med if needed, Tel/Internet,Groceries.

We are a family of 3, myself, mommy and baby Liam, heading to Canberra. We will initially aim to rent a 3 bed townhouse or a small freestanding home so I'm not clear on some expenses, like gas/water/elec as i have seen figures of ppl who may be renting larger homes. We will be going on PR, so i dont know if we will need extra pvt medical etc. Please look and advise on my estimates?

Thank you ever so much.

Trevor

Item Frequency Amount Monthly Annually Life Life insurance Monthly 0 0 I have no idea? Income Insurance Monthly 0 0 I have no idea? Life Savings Monthly 500 500 6000 Total 500 6000 House Rent @ $500 per week Monthly 2150 2150 25800 Gumtree.com.au Realestate.com.au Gas Monthly 130 130 1560 An estimate based on other expense sheets Elec Monthly 150 150 1800 An estimate based on other expense sheets Water Monthly 100 100 1200 An estimate based on other expense sheets Council Rates Monthly 150 150 1800 Do you pay council rates if you rent? Contents Insurance Monthly 35 35 420 I have no idea? Total 2715 32580 Transport Car - cash purchase - no payments Monthly 0 0 0 Car ins Monthly 35 35 420 What is insurance on a $10000AUD car? Car Reg Monthly 86 86 1032 What is car reg on a $10000AUD car? Car Maintenance Monthly 65 65 780 Petrol Weekly 60 258 3096 Total 444 5328 Children Daycare 1 Child @ $80AUD Per Day Monthly 1680 1680 20160 Only if Mommy is working, then our income will also be higher Total 1680 20160 Medical Private Medical Monthly 100 100 1200 Is This needed? Ambulance Cover Monthly 0 Is This needed? I heard this is $75 per year or something Doctor/Dentist/Medication - excess over medicare Monthly 75 75 900 Is This needed? Total 175 2100 Other Mobile 1 Weekly 10 43 516 Mobile 2 Weekly 10 43 516 Tel/Internet Monthly 50 50 600 Groceries Weekly 250 1075 12900 TV Monthly 24.5 24.5 294 https://www.foxtel.com.au/shop/packages-and-deals/?execution=e1s1 Clothes Monthly 150 150 1800 Gen Spending/Entertainment Monthly 300 300 3600 Holiday Monthly 300 300 3600 Total 1985.5 23826 Total Outgoings Monthly 7499.5 Total Outgoings Annually 89994

Excel file uploaded too. Please anyone help. Also any sources - EG for life ins i have to request a quote from a company in Aus, I think your advice should be enough.

Trev

pls download the excel file it did not come out right on the post :angry2:

Oz Living expenses 2.xlsx

Hi there

I have an excel doc I received from someone on the forum some time ago which is really helpful, pm me your email address and I will forward it to you.

From the forum I have gathered the following companies for certain stuff which might help you with quotations:

Cell phones: Tellstar, TPG, Optus and Vodafone

Vehicle insurance: Racq, Nrma and Youi

Life insurance: Nrma and Racq

Car sales: carsales.com.au

Perhaps search the forum for handy websites or something like this, there are various posts with very hand website information.

Hi Trevor

I'll share some bullet points

Car insurance $25000 car is $60 pm

Rego/CTP is $1000-1200 depends the weight of car. If u buy new it is included in price as a drive away package.

Gas $80 pm

Elec $110pm

Mobiles from $20-80 if pre paid and $60-80 plus $15 for handset. Not as cheap as RSA but calls are cheap at least I think

Rentals newer homes in Canberra around

$500-600. Try renting directly from owner.

Schools -catholic - Primary $250 pm and high school $650 pm

Food and cleaning stuff. Around $1000-1200 a month. We do buy specials so call me a cherry picker.

DSTV al Oz. Not worth it but from $47-120pm.

Coffees and fast foods $400 pm.

Petrol per car $150 pm

Medical aid $400 pm and not close to discovery cover.dentists are 5-10 times more expensive than RSA.

Home insurance for $60k cover plus $1000 all risks on any item $23 pm

BBQ gas refill $20 for 9kg

Tools are expensive so bring them with.

Found bicycles expensive as they mostly sell big brands.

Parking in cities expensive but if you look around and walk a bit =free parking.

Hi Trevor

I'll share some bullet points

Car insurance $25000 car is $60 pm

Rego/CTP is $1000-1200 depends the weight of car. If u buy new it is included in price as a drive away package.

Gas $80 pm

Elec $110pm

Mobiles from $20-80 if pre paid and $60-80 plus $15 for handset. Not as cheap as RSA but calls are cheap at least I think

Rentals newer homes in Canberra around

$500-600. Try renting directly from owner.

Schools -catholic - Primary $250 pm and high school $650 pm

Food and cleaning stuff. Around $1000-1200 a month. We do buy specials so call me a cherry picker.

DSTV al Oz. Not worth it but from $47-120pm.

Coffees and fast foods $400 pm.

Petrol per car $150 pm

Medical aid $400 pm and not close to discovery cover.dentists are 5-10 times more expensive than RSA.

Home insurance for $60k cover plus $1000 all risks on any item $23 pm

BBQ gas refill $20 for 9kg

Tools are expensive so bring them with.

Found bicycles expensive as they mostly sell big brands.

Parking in cities expensive but if you look around and walk a bit =free parking.

No rates and water bill if you rent.

You don't pay for water when you rent in Canberra? Lucky indeed. We're in NSW and still have to pay for water usage. Not much, we're a family of 4 adults and our water only comes down to around $125-$140 a quarter.

Trevor

Have a serious think about taking out private medical, even if it is just hospital cover. If you don't within one year of arrival you will be charged an extra 2% in fees for every year over the age of 31 that you are. Also from a tax perspective, if you get to the point of earning more than $158 000 as a couple you will be taxed the medicare levy surcharge if you don't have hospital cover.

Dental is very expensive here, private medical doesn't cover a lot, but some is better than none.

Maybe get settled and then look into it.

Trevor,

To give you some sort of an idea about life insurance - we have ours through our superannuation fund - Australian Super. I am covered for Total & Permanent Disability - $140,000 & Income Protection is $5,500 and Death is $600,000 - my total yearly insurance premium amounts to just over $390 (approx $32 per month). I don't pay this out of my own pocket - the monthly instalment is taken from my super. You do have the option to salary sacrifice to your superannuation fund to make up for the "loss" you incur having the insurance premiums taken from your super, which would mean that you'd pay less tax on your take home pay.

Hmmm, I think I need to look at ours, hubby has death and disability through Auscoal and we also have a policy that is similar through his union, but we took out life insurance with Guardian that is $160 per fortnight for $600 000 cover, maybe we have too many different policies. We also have a policy that is taken from his superannuation, but I am going to stop this as I don't want his superannuation to diminish and it is not tax deductible like the union one because it is not a separate payment.

Thx Guys,

I see Flowman posted a cost of $400AUD per month for medical.

Where can i medical quotes and who would you reccommend? Something online where i can get a quote quick and easy like on aami.com.au.

For myself, Monique and baby Liam - maybe even just hospital cover?

trev

Oh how I wish we didn't pay for water in the ACT - we pay - Trev it may be included in your rent, you just need to check with the landlord or agent. I read a reply from Kurkprop to another of your posts and she explained it there.

I agree with the ladies, and also suggest you take out medical cover. we are a family of four, our kids are 18 and 20, we have pretty good cover and pay around $130 per fortnight with NIB. And please remember to take out ambulance cover. A trip of 2kms cost us $800, NIB paid ours in full.

Hi Trevor,

Go to iselect.com.au. There you can get health, insurance, etc quotes and compare between companies. All online. It is very nice website.

Hi Trevor,

Go to iselect.com.au. There you can get health, insurance, etc quotes and compare between companies. All online. It is very nice website.

That's what I have just done. I did an online comparison and within ten minutes I had a guy call me and get me connected. Its weird having to choose between different power companies, actually makes it harder. I had to go research all of them and read online reviews etc. In the end I went with Momentum.

Edited by AndreR