Choosing a school before a house

DXB2OZ

So, we are looking at areas and we think we have narrowed it to favorites. However, we are realistically expecting to spend a while in furnished accommodation before succeeding in finding a rental, so my question is this - how feasible is it to get the kids into the school before actually succeeding in finding a house in the area?

DXB2OZ, to be totally honest, we first found a school that we really wanted our children to attend, but close enough to the potential areas we may source work, first. Once we had found the school and confirmed whether they could in fact accommodate our children, we narrowed down the area that would be convenient for us to rent a property!

Maybe its a little upside down, but I felt so overwhelmed with having such a large area to look in, that it worked for me. It focused by attention and energy in a much smaller area!

it all depends on the school. If they are strictly zoned you won't be able to get them into the school if you don't have generally a years lease no matter what you do. If it's not strictly zoned you will have a better leeway. My advice...if it's primary it's not too much of a big deal, but high school is, so choose carefully. We have had to put my daughter into private high school as we could not get her into the schools we wanted to as we could not afford the rentals in that are for the size house we needed (my mother was with us then but since then has passed away). There was also a very limited supply of housing in those areas, so try work out the school, and then do everything in your power to get a house in that area first.

Just my opinion

We first identified good State schools (both primary as well as secondary - both strictly zoned), and then looked for a suitable rental property that fell within the zones for both these schools.

Unless your children are very young or it is likely that you will move fairly soon, try "think ahead" and solve the "secondary" school issue at the same time. Time goes fast, and in a few years time when your child needs to go to secondary school, you will be glad you did.

Edited by Eagle101

Thank you all for your helpful insights. We will be focusing mainly on high schools, as my son will have either six months or no months left at primary. Tying to get as many of the little details clear in my head before the time to make this process as smooth as possible.

Hi guys,

Something to consider too, as well as "trying to think ahead"

If you plan to eventually buy a property to live in, it also makes sense that you can afford to one day buy in the area you are looking to rent in.

For example.. you might be able to afford to in rent in a really good school zoned area, but could you afford to buy in this area? If not, you might be forced to rent for longer.

Obviously, if owning your own home doesn’t interest you, then this wouldn’t be an issue.

Cheers,

Robbie

Robbie_P, you are following my train of thought to the letter! That is exactly our plan and has, unfortunately, already ruled out several utterly divine areas. Ag well, shouldn't complain. I'm sure the rich have their own problems.

Currently based in the Middle East, but looking very closely at Melbourne and Sydney as they are best options from a work perspective. My work is fairly adaptable but husband in IT, so we chase that. From what I have seen, there is something to said for just about anywhere, depends on what you are looking for.