Banks for home loans

Lynnie

Hi,

We are considering buying a property as an investment. I was just wondering if anyone could recommend a good bank for a home loan? We are with Nab at the moment, but are considering all the options and are wondering if there might be a "smaller"/private bank that might be better?

Any advice on banks for this purpose will be appreciated.

BOQ is managed at branch level and I have been told they are franchised.

A guy at work keeps telling me to go to a local real estate agent who also handle finance. They are in Eatons Hill

We came from a smaller institution who we were with for four years (heritage) and just joined Commonwealth. They are excellent, from their rates to their customer service to their online experience.

Would definitely reccomend them.

Hi there,

I can definitely recommend contacting Heather Grierson (Gold Coast) 0411 820 600(on this forum) or Arno Nel (Brisbane) (Die Afrikaanse Klub). Both of them will provide excellent service! It is much better to work directly with someone that is available directly to you and you do not have to go through a bank's structure. Also they will look at all of the available loans from most approved banks and get you a deal on your terms (within reason).

Good luck!

It is a good idea to find a good finance broker who has access to all the banks and can help you find the loan that best suites your needs.

• 2 months later...

What ever you do stay away from BANK OF MELBOURNE worst customer service ever. Just cost me $1000 in penalty interest due to poor service.

We started with Commonwealth Bank when we moved over. We recently moved our mortgage to NAB, along with a credit cards (the usual wealth package thing banks do here), purely because they gave us a better evaluation on our new house. Though we still have our normal accounts at Commonwealth (CBA). I find their (CBA) internet banking to be really good.

-G

Very happy with St George but you might possibly like to support Westpac seeing as their boss is an ex teacher and Nedcor employee from South Africa? ;-)

http://www.westpac.com.au/about-westpac/westpac-group/executive-team/

http://m.theaustralian.com.au/business/financial-services/westpac-ceo-gail-kelly-takes-pay-cut-to-917m/story-fn91wd6x-1226758981155

We got a home loan from Bendigo bank

Hey,

We have our home loans with CBA, AMP and Bank of Adelaide. So far, all has been good.

That said, most banks out there provide home loans, so its a matter of choosing a bank who will actually be prepared to give you a home loan as well as have a product that suits your needs.

With regards to the latter.. we recently purchased a home to live in. As we didnt have money for the stamp duty (which was a BIG expense) we were able to ontain a credit with the same bank (at low home loan rates) to pay for the stamp duty.

Cheers,

Robbie

You will be entering into a 20 year contract with an organisation, personally i would want that to be with a big bank not a small bank, get rates from the small banks first then use that to negotiate with a big bank for the best deal

• 1 month later...

It's a very competitive market and so you are in a great position to negotiate. Big banks provide more stability but sometimes the customer service is not that great. We have a RAMS Home Loans Franchise (since 2007) and would be more than willing to provide you with some advice. When buying an investment property you also want to ensure the loan is structured correctly to optimise the tax position and if that is not discussed you may not be dealing with the right person, i.e. who's name do you buy the property in, etc.