Student Visa

Sheila2oz

Hi All

Has anyone applied or know, how it works to apply for a student visa.

Regards

Sheila2Oz

Hi Sheila

I was contemplating doing a masters in Aus, going over on a student visa. the first thing to do is to get accepted at on of the Uni's in Aus. The application for a student visa is fairly straightforward and the info is available on the immi website.

While you there you are also allowed to have a part time job, your spouse and dependants will also be included in your application and your spouse can apply to work full-time.

Information for international students is available on the IDP website, and you should also look at the Study in Australia website in SA.

Hope this helps,

Cindy

I had a look at this option a while ago. Your spouse is only allowed to work for 20 hours a week, except if you are doing your masters or PHD then he or she can work unlimited hours.

I was excited about this visa until I saw the financial implications:

1. The cost involved to study at a university as an international student was hairraising....+- $18000/year.

2. If I study, my husband must work to support us, and we have 3 little boys. The cost of daycare for 3 would almost equal a salary..........

3. You need proof of sufficient funds to support your family for one year.......if I remember correctly this added up to about R300 000....

This would have been a great oppotunity for me to be able to do my PHD at a international uni. Since we dont have enough points, I thought of doing the student visa and then after completing my degree to apply for 136, as I then qualified for an additional 15 points (on new system its 25 points!).

Decided to go another route....

good luck

BG

quote name='Cindylou' date='Apr 12 2007, 07:52 PM' post='29121']

Hi Sheila

I was contemplating doing a masters in Aus, going over on a student visa. the first thing to do is to get accepted at on of the Uni's in Aus. The application for a student visa is fairly straightforward and the info is available on the immi website.

While you there you are also allowed to have a part time job, your spouse and dependants will also be included in your application and your spouse can apply to work full-time.

Information for international students is available on the IDP website, and you should also look at the Study in Australia website in SA.

Hope this helps,

Cindy

Guest colton

Bananagirl,

The student visa is something a few people do manage to come over on but I agree with you the fees are very steep. Of course each course will incur different costs, depends on what you study. My son was at university but as we are on a 457 and waiting for my IELTS before we can get PR he had to pay international student fees which was approx. $25 000 per semester (6 months). As there was no way we could afford that even for 6 months he has taken a leave of absence till we get PR. Once he has PR his fees drop to $4 000 per semester, a HUGE difference!!!

Australia has a vast amount of international students and that is how they generate a lot of the university funds, but when you consider the exchange rate for SA it is just not an option for most of us. Sheila2oz maybe you could still look into it though.

Hi All

Thanks for all the info. I am asking this on behalve of my daughters boyfriend. We as a family have applied

for PR136, but the boyfriend wants to come along. Just looking at all the options to help him get to Aus as well.

It is a lot of money, but maybe he must try to get a work sponsor. Any suggestions ?

Cheers vir eers

Sheila2Oz

Hi All

Thanks for all the info. I am asking this on behalve of my daughters boyfriend. We as a family have applied

for PR136, but the boyfriend wants to come along. Just looking at all the options to help him get to Aus as well.

It is a lot of money, but maybe he must try to get a work sponsor. Any suggestions ?

Cheers vir eers

Sheila2Oz

Hi Sheila

I the same position, my daughters boyfriend would like to come along. Hope you get some suggestions or the best way we can get him to come with us. Hope you hear from all you wise people.

Regards

LindyC