International French School of Sydney

Robz

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone can share their thoughts on the French School in Maroubra.

It's on my list for various reasons, but the most important is that my daughter is currently in a bilingual pre-school, and I would more than anything like to give her the gift of a second language.

Has anyone had any experience with it?

Thanks,

Robyn

P.S I owe the forum an update...M was offered a job while we were on our LSD....! M and the kids joining him in the New Year! But that's another topic.....

That's another topic you have to share please, sounds very exciting... CONGRATULATIONS

I can't comment on the school, but do want to read what the others have to say.

Could not see exactly, is it French she is doing now and will you be in that area? If they are both no, there are a ton of international schools in Sydney with a host of languages on offer. Also check international Grammar School Ultimo. Personally,I like the hard/realistic French way of teaching (you failed, better luck next time).

Will definitely post about the trip and the job...and the upcoming move! My post above should read *me* and the kids going in Jan.

She's at a different language school currently ( I dont want to give too much away at the moment :)) but the one in Sydney is just too far from where we want/need to be. I think I've managed to have a look into most of the other "International" schools (and Killarney Heights, which has a bilingual French program), but I've narrowed it down to the French School for a few reasons. We want to be very near the beach. We don't want more than 45 minutes commute to CBD. And finaly, cost (I know I know, the French School is also chokingly expensive at R10/$, but you might just pass out if you look at some of the others!).

So please advise me if I'm wrong, but if we could find a place to live in Coogee (and yes, I know very expensive, but a small 2 bedroom flat will suffice!), then that is very close to the school, the beach, and a half hour express bus to the CBD? Hope I've done my homework!

The Killarney Heights Public School was looking like such a winner, until I looked for rentals in the catchment area! Plus it was a bit harder commute. And quite a way from the beach.

So, thats my dilemma. Of course I could scrap the whole idea and just send her to a local public school, and life would be simpler and cheaper. hmmmm.

I would give my front teeth to live in Coogee (fair amount of Jewish South Africans), its beautiful, but very on top of each other. We have also done this, lived closer to the city in a small densley populated area, loved it, but would need the Lotto to accomodate us in 10 years. Killarney Hights is round the corner from us now, its great. Its 15mins from Dee Why beach. I would think ahead 10 years, will you be able to afford a family home in Coogee, is there the space to be a kid,etc?

Hi Robz

Just make sure you dont live too close to arden street or coogee bay road in Coogee. TONS of Irish backpackers live in Coogee and it gets a bit noisy at night. We lived there the first 3 years in Aus, but decided further up to Randwick/North Randwick is much quiter. Loads of buses go through Randwick to the CBD and it takes 30 minutes max. The express buses takes 10 - 15 minutes.

I've always lived in the eastern suburbs and love it here, just a tad expensive and not alot of afrikaans south africans here. The people here are very health orientated, which is probably a good thing. Loads of very nice restuarants and the coastal walk is just awesome. I love it that there's so many beaches so close by.

Good luck and hope you settle in quickly.

Edited by Totoro