Newbie - Nervous, Excited, Long road ahead.

MyAusJourneyIB

HEOJJ, what are you building the CMS with? My hubby just did the same, so curious :)

LillyL - our Lilly is honestly such a beam of sunshine. She was a *surprise* but has just been a huge blessing in our lives. She's a real giggle pot and I love seeing her draw her (much more serious) brother and sister into fits of giggles :D (she also has copper-red hair, which is starting to curl into ringlets at the back, so very cute :)

We are heading to Melbourne first, going to stay with friends in Berwick, south-east of Melbourne itself. We spend roughly a week there, before heading to Perth, where we'll stay with my cousin and her family in City Beach, also for about a week. I say about because with the travel time it shaves some time off the "week".

We are SO looking forward to it!!! I honestly am just counting the weeks till we go. :) I will try keep everyone updated - Crossingover did a great day-by-day of her and her hubby's LSD recently if you want to look that up, was great :) am thinking I'll *try* the same thing.

Best of luck for everything, I hope you find all the info you need here.

HEOJJ, what are you building the CMS with? My hubby just did the same, so curious :)

PHP, MySQL. Have never worked in PHP or MySQL so I figured what better way to learn a new language and development style than to build an application.

• Like 1

PHP, MySQL. Have never worked in PHP or MySQL so I figured what better way to learn a new language and development style than to build an application.

What CMS platform are you playing with? I use Drupal extensively and have started building my own apps.

Nope not playing with a CMS, building my own. I have gone through the majority of the CMS's out there that feature and are worth a looksee, Drupal, Joomla, WordPress and EasyCMS (which was an utter waste of time) to name a few.

I worked for a company in South Africa who wrote their own CMS about 16 years ago using a rather old Java SDK, traditional ASP and MSSql which is now a dinosaur but I have never found anything that comes close to its flexibility, functionality and ease of use for both the web developer and end user.

If I want the same thing that will work in a multi platform environment with the same features, I'm simply going to have to create my own. All that aside, I need a challenge, am learning a new language and development style and it's fun.

good on ya HEOJJ :)

my hubby has used the same (php/mySQL), took a while as it was also fairly new to him but it's up and running now :)

the other CMS sounds awesome

:offtopic: sorry for highjacking the thread Lilly!

• Like 1

I have not found a completely customisable, self managed database driven CMS the same as what I used to work with. Joomla was the closest but wasn't very easy to customise.

Hey Lilly

So nice to read your post. You will find support on this forum - I think a lot of people have their own perception of why people want to emigrate but the truth is we all have our own similar yet different and personal reasons too.

That is what makes life interesting... I was thinking the other day that as "immi's" we are the outliers in some ways because we tend to think about and act on our intuition and also what we perceive will be best for all of us in the future. Why not just look at this as a happy journey of self-discovery - life is not one-dimensional. We are pretty far down the tracks having submitted our visa application 8 weeks ago (our house is on the market too) and still have people asking me if our plans remain unchanged? Really???

Happy deciding...

Welcome to the adventure, all I can say is I think you've made a very wise decision. I can tell you that Perth is a great place for children, our street barely has any fenses never mind walls and gates ! We have a range of ages in our street and they are able to ride their bikes around the place, no issues. Schools are generally very good and I truly believe that Australia is a place where our children have the opportunity to build the future they deserve.

It is a long road, but well worth it :-)