Great Primary Schools in Perth....pls comment

dkm

Hi Everyone.

Thanks in advance for reading this. We have finally arrived in Perth, and as we are not limited to an area (both still unemployed), I am feeling a bit overwhelmed regarding the decision about area.

My plan was to find the perfect school for my daughter (Primary School - Grade 1) and to then secure a rental in the correct catchment area. With schools on holiday now and only websites to rely on, I would really appreciate any advice you have regarding excellent/good primary schools in Perth. I know there have been similar posts, but I would appreciate to hear up to date info. I have looked on the gov sites and compared the schools too. I have heard that the following are good....Campbell (Canning Vale), Aubin Grove, Sorrento, Currambine, Coolbinia.

Please advise.

Thanks a million

dkm

My very close and dear friend Zita is in Canning Vale. Her littlies are in grade 1 and pre school.

I will pm her number to you, perhaps give her a call, she is always willing to help.

My daughter is in pre-primary at Yuluma Primary School in Innaloo. I absolutely love the school.

We initially also tried to find the school before the rental but it was tough. A lot of the schools I approached were not even interested in showing me around or giving me an enrolment pack because we are in temp accommodation and out of the catchment area. Nevertheless, I'm happy with Yuluma Primary and my daughter loves it there too. We will be looking for a rental in the area very soon.

PM me if you want to know more.

My children went to Sorrento PS, it is a very happy community school. Year 1 is a great time to start as you will meet lots of mums and potential good family friends.

Good luck, Perth is a great place to call home.

Hi dkm

Both Sorrento and Yuluma are great schools- one thing about the primary schools is that there are many really great ones ( more so than high schools i would suggest- another one I can suggest is Landsdale Primary school, strangely enough in Landsdale ( NOR). Probably a more affordable area than Sorrento or Innaloo ( the name still gets me!!).

Forgive me for being off topic, but I often wonder why the good Secondary schools are harder to find than Primary. Is it not a good idea to look for an area with both good Primary and 2ndary schools in the catchment areas, because this seems to become an issue in grade 8. (?) I don't know if, when the time comes, we'll be able to afford a private 2ndary school, as most people I spoke to send the Gr 8's off to Private, and have to be put on a waiting list a few years in advance.

A number of primary schools feed into one secondary school, hence the reason for fewer secondary schools to pick from. From 2015 secondary school for all students irrespective of them being public,independent or Catholic schools will start high school in year 7.

And just BTW the whole waiting list thing is a little bit of a furfie- have money, get place ( not in all cases, but for most schools, you don't need to take in the pre-birth photos to get place for high school!)

So are the kids more per classroom in high school, or do they have more classes per grade to accommodate all the kids?

generally in high school yrs 7-10 you are looking at around 30-32 kids per class, year 11 and 12 at no more than 24. ( in the state schools) Some private schools cap their class numbers at 24/25 in the middle years as well, but of course there is a cost attached to it ( for the parents!!). Low fee-paying private schools will have higher numbers per class, high fee paying slightly less.

The number of classes in a particular year depends on the cohort size- generally for a school with for example 180 year 8's there will be 6 classes of 30, etc.