Where to sell Diamond Rings - SA or AUS

KalahariHarry

Hi All,

I Don't know if anyone here can assist.

We are getting together all the cash we can and we want to sell some jewellery.

For example, one ring was bought for R90k. We will have to have it re-valued but if we want to sell it here the realistic figure we can get in SA is around R30K - silly right?

Would it be better to sell in Aus? Could one sell jewellery easily? May we take Diamonds with us(with certs of course)?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Any Jewellers i can approach to see what they would offer?

Trev

Trevor, I went on to Gumtree to see if diamond rings appeared there...they did. Here is the link, may give you some idea of what to expect in Australia.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-melbourne/diamond+ring/k0l3001317

As long as you don't have uncut stones you should be fine. The second hand jewellery industry has unfortunately never been very lucrative no matter where you are in the world. I would guess though that it would be better to get dollars for the stuff instead of rands.

Hi Guys,

Thank you yes i think when i get new valuations i will contact some jewellers is Aus to get their "offers" or an idea of. I have looked on Gumtree sa and gumtree Aus. Aus does look better. I would NEVER consider selling that Item on RSA Gumtree, no way in hell.

cheers all

T

My secretary in Melbourne wants to sell her engagement ring (following bust up). The ring is valued at about $10k. Jewellers in Melbourne who were recommended to her said she could get between $3k and $4k and it would be subject to being sold on a consignment basis.

Basically different continent same issue.

On selling on gumtree, yes you can sell just about anything but even in Aus be very careful of scamsters. They are everywhere! Best to sell on eBay and insist on payment being made through PayPal. We find that scares off the scamsters.

Thank you SunnyS.

I will have to ponder over this one, also waiting on new valuations.

Trev