Cost of living... advise needed

buzz

I know I've read somewhere some of the answers to my questions below, but can't find it now. We are busy preparing a budget and would appreciate it if anyone could give us more exact figures for the list below. At the moment we are looking at 2 possible opportunities: One in Sydney and the other in a small rural town. We are a family of 4: 2 adults and two children (ages 6 & 8). We will be renting for the first year and are prepared to spend between $600 and $800 per week. We have permanent resident status. The following is based on MONTHLY expenses:

1) Groceries

2) Water, gas, electricity, etc

3) Car insurance (one small car and one family car - something like a Honda CRV, Nissan Murano)

4) Household insurance

5) Internet and cable

6) Income protection

7) Fuel

8) Mobile phone contracts

9) Extra mural activities for children (E.g. swimming lessons, gymnastics, horse riding, drama, soccer)

10) Clothes

11) Private medical aid

12) Any thing else I've missed...

Any advise will be appreciated! :ilikeit:

I know I've read somewhere some of the answers to my questions below, but can't find it now. We are busy preparing a budget and would appreciate it if anyone could give us more exact figures for the list below. At the moment we are looking at 2 possible opportunities: One in Sydney and the other in a small rural town. We are a family of 4: 2 adults and two children (ages 6 & 8). We will be renting for the first year and are prepared to spend between $600 and $800 per week. We have permanent resident status. The following is based on MONTHLY expenses:

1) Groceries Coles.com.au

2) Water, gas, electricity, etc iselect.com.au

3) Car insurance (one small car and one family car - something like a Honda CRV, Nissan Murano) youi.com.au nrma.com.au

4) Household insurance racq.com.au

5) Internet and cable tpg.com.au Telstra.com.au

6) Income protectioni iselect.com.au

7) Fuel racq.com.au

8) Mobile phone contracts vodafone.com.au Telstra.com.au

9) Extra mural activities for children (E.g. swimming lessons, gymnastics, horse riding, drama, soccer)

10) Clothes

11) Private medical aid iselect.com.au

12) Any thing else I've missed...

Any advise will be appreciated! :ilikeit:

Expenses vary from family to family, these sites will let you virtually shop.

Edited by 17yearsoutofrsa

Hi Buzz

Not sure if this might be useful for you but a friend of ours living in a suburb of Brisbane kindly put these figures together for us. He has a wife (not working) and 3 kids (under 10 years old). He has a lovely home that he rents and a good life. This is based on a salary of $90 000 per annum. He has broken down what these expenses work out to per month. Just thought I'd share. I have a lovely excel sheet with more info based on weekly, fortnightly, monthly and an annual basis. If you would like this please send me your email and I'll email it to you. Anyone else who would like them please feel free to PM me your email addresses.

Expense per month

Mobile Phone $43.33

Car insurance $37

Car Service $65

Car registration $86

Petrol $260

House insurance $55

Private health (family extras) $30

Gas $130

Electricity $150

Water $100

Council rates $150

School extras ($1000 per child per year) $166.67 - and he says the principal says this is too much

School clothes $62.50

Rent $2340

Car $300

Shopping $1083.33

Internet +phone plan $50

Total per month $5108.83

His salary monthly is $5615

Left over each month $506.17

Edited by Gillian1
  • Like 2

Hi Mittwelt

I have posted it under a new thread "expenses sheet" under general forums. Couldn't figure out how to attached it here.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys ive read about something called the bigmac index. This is where you would basically calculate how many mac burgers your zar monies can buy and then you calculate how many in dollars that amount of macburgers wil cost you.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Mac_Index

Edited by z3n71n3l