RCI Time Share- Flog it or keep it?

Rhino1

Did anyone decide to keep their RCI timeshare, which is good for international holiday bookings? I have a good Holiday Club portfolio which is RCI affiliated and can be used for international holiday bookings, including Australia. I know I wont get much for it if I sell it here so I thought of keeping it rather and use it for holiday bookings from Australia. Any thoughts or advise on this?

If you're not going to get much it's maybe worth keeping if you're going to use it! Personally I'd dump it!!!

RCI is no longer the industry leader - based on some of the information I have seen! See http://www.moneyweb.co.za/moneyweb-special-investigations/multibillion-rand-holiday-clubs-under-investigatio

If you dump it to whom would you sell it? Timeshare (be it share block shares ie Dihkololo) or points (THC, QVC and Flexi) can't be "dumped" you need a buyer?

Hi Hugo, what would you advise? Can Cashkows be of assistance in this regard?

Edited by Rhino1

Thought I had a buyer, a colleague at my workplace when still SA- she hadn't paid by the time we left, I trusted her, she has likely had many "free" holidays. Oh well, these things happen he says now- not what i was saying/thinking then!!

Personally, I would keep it.

After my dad passed away my mom tried to sell off their points as she had debts she needed to settle and at that point the points value was around R80k.

Needless to say when she started actually trying to get someone to buy the points, NO ONE was interested. To this day (we gave up trying about a year ago) not one person has contacted us, interested in buying points. There are agents who will say they can help you sell them, but will get you an unbelievably small amount of money per point - you may as well give them away.

So my personal opinion is keep it and use it - if you've used it up and decide it's not worth it, cancel it - I think it usually takes about 3 months, but at least then you've gotten some use out of it...?

We have time share at Mabilingwe that we decided to keep. Wasn't worth selling it as no one wanted it (unless we gave it away for a small amount) and we figured we could use it through RCI. I'm questioning my decision though as RCI charge over R3000 for an international change per week. Add onto that the levy of over R5000 and we are looking at R8000 - R9000 for a week away, plus of course the RCI belonging fee. Ok converted to Dollars it's not a huge amount but still. Do your homework first and then decide. I'm not so sure it's worth it long run.

We have FlexiClub points which we decided to keep - again was not worth our while to sell as has very poor retail value. Flexiclub has ownership in 3 resorts in Australia (so not a great deal to select from, but at least it is something). Thereafter we can also look at the RCI exchange route for other destinations in and outside Australia. Using our points should still give us cheaper holidays - time will tell!

we were just at a talk (sales of course) trying to sell us timeshare in return for cheap whale watching tickets.

Anyway, it was with Wyndham who seem to be big here for timeshare type holidays and they say that they are affiliated with RCI and other big names around the world.

Maybe do some research about using RCI with Wyndham while here or around the world? Not sure if they can make a plan or if they can be interchangeable.

by the way, whale-watching was awesome!