Where to rent in Sydney

Survival

We (wife, baby and me) will be relocating to Sydney beginning of May. My work office is next to the Sydney Opera house.

Can you please advice/suggest where to live... I'm not into public transport and will prefer to drive into town everyday (company supply parking). Looking for place with little garden (house/townhouse) to have a braai at least. Further looking for parking place for 2 cars and 3 bedrooms. I originally budget for $2000pm but after looking at property around cbd nothing available.

Francois

Hi Survival,

I've PM'd you some info but I realise now that you've given more information here.

So, in short, and for the others reading as well, broadly speaking, the suburbs in Sydney can be segmented in the following manner:

Eastern Suburbs - young, trendy, pricey, mostly apartment / unit living. Examples Bondi, Coogee, Bronte), with lots of singles / childless couples

North West - well priced family oriented suburban living in houses / townhouses. Lots of schools, parks, sports facilities. Examples Cherrybrook, Baulkham Hills, Pennant Hills.

North Shore - a mix of the two explained above. Trendier spots are Manly, Mosman and family suburbs like Frenchs Forest, Brookvale. Can be more expensive than North West becuase closer to the water.

Inner City - young singles with emphasis on nightlife and balancing cost . Examples Redfern, Surrey Hills, Pyrmont, Darlinghurst, Balmain

South - don't know anything about the costs in this area unfortunately, but some of the suburbs that I know of are Brighton le Sands, Sans Souci, Cronulla.

If you want to research the suburbs more thoroughly, use the Suburb Snapshot tool on www.domain.com.au. It gives very detailed demographic information for all the suburbs, including age group, average price, countries represented etc. It is a very useful tool and I recommend it highly.

Hope this helps!

Ajay

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Survival, We live in the sutherland shire, those areas which Ajay knows nothing about. Here you can rent a 3 bedroom townhouse for $350/400 , and homes for $350/600. There are two railway lines to serve this area. By the beach is Cronulla, miranda,Yowie bay and Woolooware all very nice suburbs with a huge westfield shopping mall. lots of schools to choose from. Also look at Sutherland, Gymea, Kirrawee. They are on the blue line Train, which takes you to Bondi/Cronulla. Or you could Try Peakhurst, Penshurst, Mortdale lots of units/townhouses. OATLEY or LUGARNO some having waterviews of the bays/river. The last five are very conv. as you have the M5 motorway close that heads into the city. Good luck with the house hunting

Me again .. forgot to add rent is paid weekly. You need 4 weeks deposit and 2 weeks in advance. The bond/dep gets paid into a Bonds board where you earn a little interest, you sign for it to be released again when you move out. We have the Taj Mahal shop owned by the lovely Vina at Rockdale for SA products and Hurstville south's Franklins(groc.) stocks Boerewors, Aswell as a butcher at Cronulla has nice wors and there's a Nandos aswell.

You could have a look at North Ryde, Mona Vale and possibly Northern Beaches ( it could be a bit far) or have a look at Maroubra or Kensington or Newington (Inner-West).

Edited by sonnetjie