Credit card payment for holiday accommodation

Toitjie

I have been searching high and low for affordable holiday accommodation over the christmas holidays in and around Bateman's Bay.

When I finally found something I liked, the website says they do not currently have online payment options. They sent a confirmation email stating my details and request, and says I have to phone them, give my credit card details and they will do the payment over the phone.

I am a little worried about this and want to know if anyone has done it like this, and with this company. Over the telephone I have no control of the payment or the amount. How will they prove I authorised it?

The company seems to be affiliated with LJ Hooker, which is reputable.

Has anyone come across Bateman's Bay Accommodation Centre?

I would also be concerned! You hear so many horror stories. For internet related payments, I am always very careful to use a reputable payment system eg PayPal etc. Maybe you can tell them that you will sort out payment when their online payments are up and running again?

thanx...they say a booking needs to be paid 50% within 48 hours otherwise its not finalised, and the December bookings are going so fast. This is just really weird

I've done a few credit card things via phone and no problems.

One thing about credit card payments is you CAN get them returned to you if you object. It's not easy, but it IS possible.

We recently bought a dishwasher online through The Good Guys and couldn't pay online, had to ring them and give them CC details online. We were quite surprised that we had to do this with such a big company.

My point is, that in itself wouldn't be too much cause for concern, because it seems to happen even with some big companies, but obviously you're right to be cautious.

In terms of the site, it seems a legitimate arm of LJ Hooker, and the numbers/addresses check out. I would just make sure that when you ring them to pay, you ring on the main number of 02 4472 6455 and ask to be put through- that way you know for sure.

Edited by HansaPlease

i have a seperate card for online or other payments - in which i keep only enough funds to cover these purchases - this limits my risk exposure to online or telephonic payments

Thanx for all the advice, I will ring them Monday morning (will have to get up early :) ). Pat- I have read somewhere about 1-time credit cards - no card but the bank issue you with the card nr, exp date and even CCV nr. You just load the amount for that transaction and that's that. Do you get something like this in Oz?

Not sure I understand the concern. If you filled it in online or gave it to them over the phone, they've got the same information either way. The thing you can't give them is your pin number, that would be a breach of contract.

I did a 40k transaction over the phone with a Dubai firm earlier this year. I just made sure they where a reputable firm.

over the phone means I have no control over the amount. There is no proof that I authorised it

with an online transaction the site is secured, the amount is displayed and I authorise the amount and payment by doing the payment.

Technically if someone is dishonest and I have to pay $100 and he puts through $ 10000, I will have a hell of a time getting it back

just saying

• Like 1

I think you thinking to hard about this. As long as the company is a reputable firm I doubt you will have an issue. If what you say happens then it is a fraudulent transaction and you report it to the bank, for reversal. Its not against your contract to give them your card and cvv number, its is however a violation to give them your pin number.

The transaction will show as a manual transaction I.e card not present. You may actually have more trouble with your own bank getting the transaction auth then with the other side ripping you off.

I agree about being cautious.. I know of someone that was done in by a big company, obviously not the company, but the employee doing the transaction. It took them months to get their money back.

I also have a special credit card with a low limit, that I use for on line purchasing.

By the same token , be wary go any cards coming from overseas , so much credit card fraud,

It's not unusual asking for a deposit on accommodation for December in Perth , as this s peak period.

I will say - estate agents are a little redeemed. I found a very nice place, better than the first one, with First National Bateman's Bay and I had to email my credit card details which I did not like very much, but I had a chat to the lady and she said its perfectly safe. Also Standard Bank is fantastic, they queried the payment and prevented me making another payment on the same website before I spoke to them. But all was well, they responded quickly, were very efficient and friendly and sent me my confirmation.

I also booked through Stayz for our first 10 days in Canberra, @ Kaleen Cottage, and there I did the payment electronically. But also the owner or agent was extremely helpful and friendly.

I am really excited! Booking accommodation is half the fun!

• Like 1