A career in Elder Care

Guest May

My hubby 56 and tired of corporate IT is considering studying to qualify for care. He has the temperament because he cared for his father who suffered a stroke and his mother who has Alzheimers.

What courses? What qualifications? Expectations and experiences and if he ticks all the boxes where will he secure work.

This is a clean canvas paint it for me. We know nothing simply that he may be tolerant of looking after the elderly or disabled, I understand that this was his parents and that there were strong emotional ties and that looking after the elderly means sometimes there is a stress factor especially when they leave this world. Carers for dementia patients are severely stressed.

Or else a few contact details or links where I can start doing the reading.

Can't really help in terms of tips, but I do know that it's a good occupation to get into. Aged Care is booming and will continue to do so for a long time because of what they call "an aging population".

I couldn't do it, but hats off to people that do - they deserve medals and should be paid buckets!

Hi May

Look at TAFE. I would think a Cert III or Cert IV in Aged Care would be an appropriate qualification. Don't go through a training company, do it direct through TAFE and itis much cheaper and the same qualification.

The Department of Health and Ageing might be a good place to read more and work out where he would like to work, i.e. community care or a facility. http://www.yourhealth.gov.au/internet/yourhealth/publishing.nsf/content/theme-agedcare#.Ug1UU232I_o

It is hard work, is he physically up for it? I used to work in aged care and then psychiatric care and it is physically demanding........I think my current back problems are a result of this.

• Like 1

Hi May

Look at TAFE. I would think a Cert III or Cert IV in Aged Care would be an appropriate qualification. Don't go through a training company, do it direct through TAFE and itis much cheaper and the same qualification.

Totally agree with this. For vocational training TAFE is the best and usually cheapest. Don't get sucked in to "providers" like SEEK Learning who charge a premium, often double, to just pass you on to TAFE anyway.

Agreed. I was going to do an OH&S certificate and a local company quoted me $3600 for the course (starts with BSB.......) I phoned TAFE and the same course is $600. All these RTO's do is charge to give you the exact same course.

Hubby just did a CertIV Instrumentation through work and a government sponsorship that would probably cost around $2000 all up and 3 different training companies got involved and I believe the total cost was in excess of $10 000..............an example of where our tax dollars go and how they keep white shirts in work.......lol

Sheesh its expensive. I'm currently looking at post-grads... $2k per subject. Ouch.

Undergrad subjects between $1000 and $1500 each mostly dependent on subject.....................and I'm still going to whine about Julia removing science subjects from the national priority band 7a.....meaning that some of my subjects will be double in cost.........blah...

Google is your friend

Not always. Easy to find things on Google but not always easy to make the right choice unless you ask real world advice. For example, SEEK Learning are usually one of the first search results that come up when you search for courses, but they don't tell you on the website or in their enrolment process that they're going to rip you off...

Sorry, not rip you off, merely charge a whopping fee for passing on the work to somebody else... ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I am in aged care, studied through TAFE on my own pace, and it is pay as you go... Module by module. The whole course cost about $1,100. You also have to do a 2 week placement as part of your course. They usually offer you a job after placement. They drive you a bit crazy as they keep on phoning to offer you a position and then push you to sign up permanently.

It is very hard work but very rewarding. Odd hours. As a casual you earn more money. A permanent position only earns about $700 a week. Most carers leave to go and work at Woolies as they earn more money, and they don't have as much responsibility. You will NEVER be without a job with an aged care qualification. I am currently doing a contract for the Government as an Respite Coordinator in a rural part of AUS, much more money and better hours.

I have also decided to go onto nursing and the aged care qualification gave me entry into a Nursing degree! Companies are lining up to offer you financial assistance with your Nursing studies... I couldn't believe it. A combination of aged care and a disability qualification will secure you a position any where in AUS. There is a lot of financial pressure on the Government as the ageing population is increasing and there is simply not enough carers in AUS. Community care is also very popular and another direction that you can follow with an aged care qualification. What ever you do... Best you study through TAFE as they have flexible study options and the cost is very low, as this is one course that is under the "skills for all" initiative.

I do really enjoy this field, and it is a total different direction as to what I have done for the last 20 years in South Africa. Another positive about Australia... No one is ever to old to take up studies or change the field of work. I have studied with a 65 year old woman! The people in aged care facilities is all between 85 and 100! Amazing !

Off the topic of aged care but you are never too old to study and change careers. Our good friend (also a Zim who has settled in South Australia) had always wanted to teach, so at age 55 went to uni for the very first time and in July this year qualified with a Bachelor of Ed !!!!