Word of warning for CA's

Chocaholic

Just a quick word of advice and/or warning for the Chartered Accountants out there (especially those planning to move to Western Australia, as I am not hundred percent sure whether this applies for the other states too):

My husband, a Chartered Accountant, duly studied for and passed his Tax Exams here in WA, did his 6 months work experience as required, and when he wanted to register as a Tax Consultant a couple of months ago he had a very bad surprise, Out of the blue and with no warning they have decided this year that all those not registered yet also have to pass a Commercial Law Exam! Another 3 exams over the course of a year - another year of studying - .........

Just thought you might want to be at least prepared......

One thing I dislike.....a constant shifting of the goalposts. Poor man, he must just hang in there. Good luck.

• Like 1

Man, that's harsh. Best of luck to him.

This doesn't sound right. Is your husband a registered CA(SA)?

It sounds like the ICAA has given you wrong information. There is no requirement for you to work for 6 months or do any conversion exams if you're a member of SAICA. All you need to do is provide some written references from one CA(SA) and two Aussie CAs and you can register.

The details are here - http://www.charteredaccountants.com.au/Members/Membership/Recognised-overseas-accounting-bodies

They originally gave me incorrect information too.

Donovan, I don't think there was an issue with registering with the ICAA it seems the problem relates to registering as a tax practitioner with the TBP (unless I misunderstood the original post).

Chocaholic, which tax course did your husband do and through who? If you do the foundation and advanced tax courses through the Australian Tax Institute I think you qualify for registration with the TPB (at least from an academic perspective)!!?

Ah right, sorry I misread the issue... lol. That's what happens when you skim stuff!

:oops:

Ah right, sorry I misread the issue... lol. That's what happens when you skim stuff!

:oops:

That's normally my problem as well :)

The commercial law requirement is NOT a new requirement. Five years ago when I applied for my practitioner’s registration I was asked to proof that I have done studies in Australian Taxation and Australian Commercial Law.

Study units in South African Tax Law and Commercial Law are recognised for general membership of three accounting bodies ICAA, CPA and IPA. When you apply for practicing membership, the requirements change and you have to do certain study units to qualify.

South African Law is based on Dutch Roman Law principals while the Australian Law is based on the English Law principals. Although there are many similarities between the two, there are many differences as well.

To register as a tax practitioner, you need to fulfil the requirements of the Tax Practitioners Board (TPB). By fulfilling the requirements for ICAA, CPA or IPA membership does not mean that you fulfil the TPB requirements for registration as a tax practitioner.

My suggestion is to make sure what memberships you need to be able to fulfil your work/practice requirements and then determine what studies/units are required to fulfil your registration obligations. It is always a good idea to do homework properly.

• Like 1