Unemployed Brisbane

Guest May

This post is for those professionals in finance should you be considering Qld.

I have over 20 years in finance in different roles in blue chip corporations and international banking institutions, I worked for the South African branch of a global engineering company that has a office in Brisbane, I have a degree and as a woman I think I am considered more flexible in terms of doing AP and clerical duties including reception work.

I have tried everything that people have suggested

-10 recruitment agencies

-following up with them regularly

-asked them for data capture upwards

-upskilled to MYOB accounting software

-weighed up CPA (its expensive and guarantees nothing)

-volunteered my services to get aussie experience

......now I am considering moving in spite of it being the middle of a school year but locked into lease (here is another lesson dont let them strongarm you into 12 month lease, I was desparate as we had outstayed our welcome). You are liable for rent and advertising costs until such time as the lease is up so in my case until January, that is a lot of money and missed job opportunities elsewhere.

tried applying from here to Sydney, Melbourne and Perth but you are told that you have to be on the ground.

Okay truth be told I am gainfully employed as a cleaner however I have a history of back problems so there isnt a long term future in housekeeping for me (and that isnt a lazy cop-out, I genuinely dont have enough cartilage between my lower vertebrae so when I throw out my back I am not mobile neck down), I do enough to cover my food bill which is 2-4 hours daily for 4 mornings, blessed with PR which pays my rental and it keeps me sane because I havent been to a client interview since before May and its paid exercise.

I dont somehow think that if you are in finance you should be in Brisbane as Queensland went through a major restructure and are known to take care of their own first, Qld is known for sticking to their own rules and is more of a holiday destination.

This is my journey and others might experience differently, I know of 1 other forumite that is in finance(FM) and in Brisbane unemployed. My advice is go to on to Sydney and Melbourne that is bigger and more cosmopolitan in their outlook and have been more sustainable in their economies, and be prepared for a fast paced life there.

For now we are going to try Perth for a number of personal reasons having seen what Sydney and Brisbane have to offer. Hopefully we will be blessed with good fortune there in spite of the downswing in the mining boom in Perth.

A friend said to me at the beginning of this journey that where you begin is not necessarily where you finish so be prepared for change, for sacrifice and for vasbyt.

:)

Edited by May

May, I am so sorry that your journey is proving to be so hard. I wish you the greatest joy in Perth!

Yes, I agree with Mara

Despite the setbacks you have had so far your tenacity is incredible.....I do hope that Perth proves to be the place you find all you wish for.

May I am so sorry to hear you are still battling with landing a job in finance. Like Andrea said your tenacity is incredible - and something is surely going to come from that.

I wish you all the best with the move to WA - and hope you have a smoother journey then the one you've had.

It could be worse, you could be in South Africa and unemployed. At least the good thing is that you out of the hell hole of RSA.

Exactly my feeling. I couldnt go back if I wanted to because I would have to work to support some figurehead if I was lucky to get work. And trust me I have been many times to UIF having been retrenched 3 times in SA.

Here I am blessed with assistance there I would get a snotty attitude considering that I have to contribute to UIF in any job and of course if I left work willingly I get nothing.

Edited by May

Best of luck in Perth, May!

Just on the tenancy, you're aware that you're only liable until they find new tenants? We just broke our 12 month lease 6 months in because we bought a house. New tenants moved in 9 days after we left, so we only have to pay 9 days of rent, letting fees and advertising fees, which are a few hundred $. I know it's still a lot when you're not working much, but just to clarify that you shouldn't have to pay for the entire lease.

• Like 1

Hi I am in the finance field and we are heading for Brisbane/ Gold Coast at the end of the year.eeekkkk

So sorry to hear that. May you be blessed and find employement in Perth. All of the best.

This post is for those professionals in finance should you be considering Qld.

I have over 20 years in finance in different roles in blue chip corporations and international banking institutions, I worked for the South African branch of a global engineering company that has a office in Brisbane, I have a degree and as a woman I think I am considered more flexible in terms of doing AP and clerical duties including reception work.

I have tried everything that people have suggested

-10 recruitment agencies

-following up with them regularly

-asked them for data capture upwards

-upskilled to MYOB accounting software

-weighed up CPA (its expensive and guarantees nothing)

-volunteered my services to get aussie experience

......now I am considering moving in spite of it being the middle of a school year but locked into lease (here is another lesson dont let them strongarm you into 12 month lease, I was desparate as we had outstayed our welcome). You are liable for rent and advertising costs until such time as the lease is up so in my case until January, that is a lot of money and missed job opportunities elsewhere.

For now we are going to try Perth for a number of personal reasons having seen what Sydney and Brisbane have to offer. Hopefully we will be blessed with good fortune there in spite of the downswing in the mining boom in Perth.

A friend said to me at the beginning of this journey that where you begin is not necessarily where you finish so be prepared for change, for sacrifice and for vasbyt.

:)

Hi May sent you a PM. If you want to contact me for a chat I can give you details. I hope I can help with the link I sent. I will monitor the forum for a while and hope you can let me know. As to lease they usually have people willing to take over rentals ( I have cut short leases twice with no pain apart form a little stress)

Hi May
See you got the PM and glad you could pass it on. Best wishes I Perth

Edited by LeeInOz

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So after 9 months off sitting in my pigeonhole at 9+ agents boxed a job pops up on SEEK. After 3 emails she respond saying I am too senior but she will chat to her client. No response after 1 day. Told her we were relocating anyway I spent most of the year cleaning homes. Shame on them. I corresponded every 6 weeks said temp/perm. Anything entry level.

Hi May, I am very sorry that your journey has been difficult thus far, but I believe that everything happens for a reason, and when the timing is right, everything will fall into place :hug: .

Your faith will carry you through.

Stay strong!

and then agents start falling over each other as another 2 jobs came up.

Too late I have mentally committed myself right or wrong to Perth, out of my lease which took 2 painful months to accomplish and finalising move.

Looking forward to working the 5 weeks and then settling in in Perth with family and friends and the beach and a new perspective.

Hi May,

Best of luck - the 5 weeks Australian experience may just stand you in good stead in WA - so make the most of it !!