CELLPHONE OPTIONS

Superkruz

Question

I'm visiting SA soon and was wondering what the best option would be for Cellphone communications and data connection - without a contract. Any suggestions?

5 answers to this question

Any of the 3 networks will do, MTN, CellC or Vodacom Pay as you go,I got MTN pay as you go, R2 or so per min local and data is around R100 per 500MB, you can buy extra data or airtime at any shop these days. Remember FICA documents: proof of ID and residence.

if you get a local simm at the airport - return flight and passport are enough to be fica compliant - but only at the airport - which means a wait until they open at 6am if your flight arrives before then

I used Vodacom. They had a special on when I was there in April. Went to a local vodacom shop with my Aussie rates doc, no probs to get setup. However when I recharged I used a bonus option on the recharge system and got extra data. You re charge with X rands and then choose to buy a data bundle or leave the credit as is for calls. Make sure your phone is unlocked before you go and will take a different SIM to the one you normally use. My wife's iphone was not unlocked as it was replaced under warranty and then we had to go through the phone Itunes unlocking etc on those blistering internet speeds, yuk... I cannot comment on the other providers. Vodacom network quality was not great but usable.

Does this apply the other way around as well? I'm assuming you don't need to go through this Gestapo Fica system in Aus?

Cell C has the best prices and rates, but their coverage and quality is sketchy in certain areas. If you want to play it safe go for one of the others in my opinion!