Is an agent necessary?

Hi All

I would like to know if someone has done these processes without the help of an agent and if so, is it a good idea to tackle it on your own? My processes will include a RPL, medical and of course the application itself.

Thanks!

Rookie.

We have PR visa's and we did them ourselves (forms, meds etc etc etc). Having an agent, in my view, makes no difference when you application hits Adelaide!! It is all about 'do you meet the requirements?'!!

There is so much info out there on the process especially on this site you would be wasting your time/money with an agent!!!

Just follow the process and realise that it does take time!! The processing centre in adelaide for PR Visa's sends you letters/emails requesting info. The only issue is that they normally give you 30 days or less to produce documents so it is a good idea to have everything at hand when you start the process!!

Cheers, Reid

Edited by Reid

Hi All

I would like to know if someone has done these processes without the help of an agent and if so, is it a good idea to tackle it on your own? My processes will include a RPL, medical and of course the application itself.

Thanks!

MMeyer,

See my answer to this question: http://www.ptlabs.com.au/visas/faq.php#basic004

As I assist/ed quite a few people with RPLs, it all depends on whether you understand the RPL guidelines and whether you have a knack for writing the CBOK areas themselves. Not everyone needs an agent, although if you get a good agent, your journey to a skilled visa may get slightly easier.

Peter

Rookie.

We have PR visa's and we did them ourselves (forms, meds etc etc etc). Having an agent, in my view, makes no difference when you application hits Adelaide!! It is all about 'do you meet the requirements?'!!

There is so much info out there on the process especially on this site you would be wasting your time/money with an agent!!!

Just follow the process and realise that it does take time!! The processing centre in adelaide for PR Visa's sends you letters/emails requesting info. The only issue is that they normally give you 30 days or less to produce documents so it is a good idea to have everything at hand when you start the process!!

Cheers, Reid

Good answer Reid! :blink:

We also did not bother with an agent.

We lodged our Independent Appl. in June 1995 and in Oct 1996 we arrived in Adelaide.

Cheers,

Dax

Hi All

Thanks!

There have been many posts on this subject, and ultimately it depends entirely on your personal circumstances. See here for a similar discussion.

In our case, we opted for an agent as I am nearing the cutoff age, and wanted this to go as quickly as possible with no surprises or delays, and also as I no longer work in the field in which I qualified.

That said, had I known about this forum at the time, I would probably have opted to do it myself, given the wealth of information and help available here.

Regards,

Scott

Hi M Meyer

We too did the application ourselves including approval from ACS etc. We spent ages researching, reading, going through app requirements and so forth. That included the immigration site, forums such as this one and so forth.

Our application was pretty straight forward - skills in demand etc.

I think if you have a straight forwrad app, do thorough research, read through requirements etc very very very carefully and submit documents as they state they need them then you can have success in the application - as is our story and others on this site.

I also do think though that Agents do a fabulous job with tricky cases, or when you are just short of points, or when you don't have time to do a thorough job yourself, or when you are not confident you will get it all done and don't want to risk a mistake. These people have experience which is invaluable - so if you are borderline points wise and not confident then I don't think its a waste to have an agent who will do the hard work, give you the needed advice. A couple of families we know have used agents and their results have all been 100%. If you get someone who comes recommended by other families you will know they are not just going to take your money without doing a good job.

I so wish you well with your application - its a wonderful feeling when you get that sticker in your passport :-)

Best Wishes

Tarryn