My C.O.asks for further information

Hi there,

i have a non-dependent adult child who is not included in my application.

My C.O. has requested me to get the child to undergo medical examinations even if he is not migrating with us.

Does this mean my application is almost final and i should expect to get the visa grant soon ?

In what way a medical condition whcih my child may have (i'm sure he hasn't) can impact on the outcome of my application as he is not migrating with us.

Can someone shed some light..

Karen

Guest Bronwyn

Hi Karen - That is a bit wierd as he is non-dependant. :blink:

My stepson of 14 stayed in South Africa with his mom (he is at school there). He was also asked to go for the medicals even tho he was not included in the Visa at the end of the day. I actually felt sorry for him having to go through it, because we thought they would include him and then they didn't, so now we have to pay for a visitors Visa twice a year when he comes over....

Just ask your child to do the medicals for you, it's not at all painfull and takes half an hour.

My experience is that if you are at the medicals stage, you are almost there. For us it was the last step. We had everything else done. ;)

I hope it helps.

Bronwyn

Hello Peter

Thanks for replying to me.

He will turn 21 in August

Karen,

Your child is above 18, and is not dependent on you.

I hope you sent in evidence or at least pointed it out to your case officer that your child is not dependent on you.

A child over 18 is normally defined as non-dependent unless evidence to the contrary is provided.

A non-dependent child (even if under 18) is not considered a member of your family unit for the purposes of your application for migration.

A person who is not a member of your family unit is not required to undergo medicals or police checks.

If your case officer insists on it, I would advise you to either engage a registered migration agent to highlight the relevant points of law to your CO (this is law, not policy we're talking about, so it's not a grey area but very clear cut).

Peter

Hello Peter

I contribute partly towards his uni fees. Won't diac consider this as a dependent child even if he will turn 20 in august or maybe i should just pin point to my C.O. that the child is not dependent on me...

Karen

Hello Peter

I contribute partly towards his uni fees. Won't diac consider this as a dependent child even if he will turn 20 in august or maybe i should just pin point to my C.O. that the child is not dependent on me...

Karen

Karen,

If you contribute partly towards his uni fees, why are you saying he is a non-dependent child? He's obviously dependent on you for part of his uni fees.

There's a difference between a non-dependent child, and a dependent child who is not planning to migrate with you. Is it not possible for him to just take the medicals then?

Peter