Birds of Australia - a glimpse

CherylC

Just thought I'd share a couple of pictures of the birds we've seen in South Australia....

post-17634-0-74045000-1375604201_thumb.j

post-17634-0-50951500-1375604225_thumb.j

post-17634-0-01609400-1375604254_thumb.j

• Like 9

First picture is of Rainbow Lorikeets, second one is of the Laughing Kookaburra and the last one is of the Galahs (related to the cockatoos).

• Like 1

Australia has so many and they're great.

Today from our garden and walk we've seen

Seagulls, swifts, crows, magpies, willy wagtail, pelican, crested pigeon, plover, Indian minor, sea waders (can't identify them), honey eaters (lots in our garden).

Some missing that we would normally see, wagtails, galah, white crane, cockatoo.

• Like 2

Thanks for sharing your lovely pictures. Not easy getting a good shot.

I too love the birds here, so colorful.

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing your lovely pictures. Not easy getting a good shot.

I too love the birds here, so colorful.

... so raucous .... (as has been discussed before)

But they can be beautiful. :)

Has anyone else noticed that some birds wake up extra early here ? I have heard magpies and currawongs at 3am in summer.

Try fall asleep with a currawong making vomiting noises outside your window

Thank you!

Yes, I agree, the magpies start here after sun set and I have also heard them as early as 04h00 in the morning! Now, they make a unique sound that you always hear on some of the advertisements on TV or in the background when they interview the politicians outdoors! :ilikeit:

I don't know if it is just me, but the birds here barely sit still for long enough to take a picture. We have a couple of Restless Flycatchers (duh, the name says it all!) that I struggle to catch with the camera. They are cute and have these funny flying patterns. I've only been lucky to get the picture where the birds seem to return to something of interest to them.

I hope to get some more pics of the other birds.

Australia has so many and they're great.

Today from our garden and walk we've seen

Seagulls, swifts, crows, magpies, willy wagtail, pelican, crested pigeon, plover, Indian minor, sea waders (can't identify them), honey eaters (lots in our garden).

Some missing that we would normally see, wagtails, galah, white crane, cockatoo.

I can't wait to recognise more of these birds so I know what have been flying over our garden. I have seen the crested pigeon (with the whistling wings) and sea gulls everywhere a well.

We don't have any of the rainbow lorikeets in Port Pirie - we only saw them in Adelaide and the ones I took a picture of, seemed to eat the flowers of the palm trees. It's just amazing to see how large the flocks of lorikeets, galahs and seagulls are.

• 1 month later...

Thank you!

Yes, I agree, the magpies start here after sun set and I have also heard them as early as 04h00 in the morning! Now, they make a unique sound that you always hear on some of the advertisements on TV or in the background when they interview the politicians outdoors! :ilikeit:

I don't know if it is just me, but the birds here barely sit still for long enough to take a picture. We have a couple of Restless Flycatchers (duh, the name says it all!) that I struggle to catch with the camera. They are cute and have these funny flying patterns. I've only been lucky to get the picture where the birds seem to return to something of interest to them.

I hope to get some more pics of the other birds.

Hi CherylC, If you want to hear and see the King of them all go to Utube and type Lyrebird Australia narrated by David Attenbourough they can mimic 20 other birds including Kookaburras as well as chainsaws,camera shutters, car alarms. If you can, post it on here.

Cheers,

P

Edited by peterm
  • Like 1

I love all the bird life. We have a few small lakes in our neighbourhood so we have loads of ducks just walking in the road so we sometimes have to wait for them to cross - they are getting annoying as they poo on the pavement. And also other waterbirds like moorhens. Lots of cockatoos, galahs and lorikeets and sometimes kookaburras.

And of course black crows and the lovely magpies who swooped my seven year old the other day when she was riding her scooter. That time of the year again!!

I enjoyed the YouTube clips: My favourite is where this Lyrebird imitates a construction site. You can even hear the workers mumble. Too cute!

• Like 1