Going back? Be prepared to pay Medical Aid penalties

Jordy

Question

There is nothing new in this article as the act was passed in 2001 but I didnt know about it so maybe you didnt either.

The Medical Schemes Act has a formula by which returning South Africans must, for the remainder of their lives, pay punitive premiums of between 5% and 75% to a medial aid because they did not belong to South African medical aid schemes while out of the country

http://www.thesouthafrican.com/news/the-legal-cold-shoulder-for-repatriates-the-medical-schemes-act-and-you.htm

17 answers to this question

Another reason not to go back (and I needed another reason like I need a tattoo of Julius Malema).

• Like 4

OBD, you don't have a JM tatt...? Here is a photo of mine :)

post-13510-0-76917500-1375272205_thumb.j

Edited by Search
  • Like 6

Crazy country! If it was free medical but hell we are paying for something that should be provide for!!'

Maybe I'll get me one of those. :P

How are they going to know you were not in the country? I can just say I didnt have the money to pay for a medical aid and took my chances at the public hospitals ;)

Another reason not to go back (and I needed another reason like I need a tattoo of Julius Malema).

Took the words out of my mouth!

Aaaarggghhhh!!!!!

Warn me before you do that.

Moderators, are people allowed to put obscene pics on the forum? ;)

I suppose it depends where you have the tattoo.

Edited by OubaasDik

That just made my day!

Got to admit, I chose the most unlikely thing I could think of, and Search topped me big-time - well done. :)

• Like 3

Left or right cheek OBD, me thinks left wing for sure........

• Like 1

Australian private medical schemes

have more or less the same ruling.

They're certainly more lenient on expats than SA are, but I believe a similar principle applies for late joiners.

I think it's called " late enrolment penalty" in Aus?

The additional medical expenses are to cover psychiatric analysis and treatment. Only a nutjob would go back there.

Genuine reasons excepted....

• Like 2

Hi we returned from the UK to SA and we had to pay 10% penalty only for the first year. Discovery

How are they going to know you were not in the country? I can just say I didnt have the money to pay for a medical aid and took my chances at the public hospitals ;)

It actually has nothing to do with leaving SA and returning, and the article is misleading over that. It has to do with hospital cover and whether you have belonged to a Medical aid or not since the time you were 30+, end of story. You have to "prove" that you were on a medical fund from the age of 30 or 35 or whatever it is and if you cannot AND have had more than a 3 month absence from a scheme they can hit you with Late Joiner Penalties. which can be up to 75% additional. It was introduced into the MSA back in 2001 I think it was. Funds don't have to implement it but most will if they can especially on older people. If you don't have valid evidence that you had healthcare from 30+ you will get hit with it. In Australia it's called LHC or Lifetime Health Cover, and they hit you with 2% per year for every year over 30. The difference is that you as a new immigrant are given a 12 month grace period. You just have to get a Medicare Eligibility letter to state you only became eligible for Medicare from the day you arrived and they will remove your LHC loading. After a year and you will also be hit with the LHC loading. It's to encourage people to belong to a hospital policy. Note it is the hospital section that is the issue not your other benefits.

• Like 1