Teachers conduct and discipline

LadySnoo

Hi everyone,

I am a teacher in the foundation phase , still in SA . I get a lot of comments about how different teaching will be in australia becaus kids rule everything. I hear comments about the kids being similar to the UK where it is all about the, directing there own classroom. For example I hear you cannot tell a child they have lied and that was wrong , you must rather try and find out why and council them. ( now this is true for repeat offenders but sometimes kids just lie and need to be punished)

Now, I am not a nasty or cruel teacher and I have never raised my hand to child but I would be considered strict/ firm. I do not shout and scream the whole day but I ensure children respect me and I am very firm. I am worried that I will not fit into the education system if it is in fact the way others discribe it. I believe in a learner active classroom but i think the teacher should still be controlling the envirnment . I also believe in having systems and order in place so children know boundaries and learn respect.

I would like any teacher or parents to comment about the discipline in schools. Is it as others have discibed ? Do the children rule in the classroom?

Sjoe, LadySnoo think this is relevant in some SA schools where the kids rule and the teacher's are left with their hands tied...

I am not a teacher and not in Oz yet, but I also believe in discipline and respect and my daughter is being taught this at home. I believe that if you dont start at home the teachers will not stand a change.

Personally I think more teacher like you are needed in SA and from the sounds of it also in Oz.

Good luck on your journey, hope you will be able to fit in and be accepted and appreciated for the amazing teacher / person you are.

• Like 1

Well, I can only speak from my vast experience in the Australian system - I have now been teaching here for 1 1/2 weeks. :D

The school I'm at is nothing like you describe at all, but I am teaching at a private Christian school so I assume it is much different.

We are expected to keep tight control, the kids are very respectful and well-behaved. You still need to have your controls in place, but you are expected to do that.

Our school has a very interesting discipline system where you ask them a series of questions the first time they offend, if they offend again, they go to the room where there are teacher that deal with them. Well, what they do is they go through a process of creating a plan of remedying their behaviour and then they discuss this with you the next day and if they continue to break their own plan of action then there are further consequences. It seems to work well, because the kids are generally well behaved.

My uncle teaches in South Australia in the state schools and he told me that they have a good discipline policy at their school and that it's pretty good there but that it can be pretty bad in some schools.

So, it depends on which school you are in I think, but it seems as though the private schools are generally the ones where you will find better discipline.

But then again, what do I know? Not much yet! I might be completely wrong.

Thanks Bams. I really do appreciate that.

I do agree with you but I feel that some teachers allow a loss of control to happen. That's why I am so firm from the get go.

Lets hope my firm hold of learners is appreciate and not seen as being a mean way of not letting the children choose their own way of education... I think it's very new age and I'm a bit traditional in that way.

Well, I can only speak from my vast experience in the Australian system - I have now been teaching here for 1 1/2 weeks. :D The school I'm at is nothing like you describe at all, but I am teaching at a private Christian school so I assume it is much different.We are expected to keep tight control, the kids are very respectful and well-behaved. You still need to have your controls in place, but you are expected to do that.Our school has a very interesting discipline system where you ask them a series of questions the first time they offend, if they offend again, they go to the room where there are teacher that deal with them. Well, what they do is they go through a process of creating a plan of remedying their behaviour and then they discuss this with you the next day and if they continue to break their own plan of action then there are further consequences. It seems to work well, because the kids are generally well behaved. My uncle teaches in South Australia in the state schools and he told me that they have a good discipline policy at their school and that it's pretty good there but that it can be pretty bad in some schools. So, it depends on which school you are in I think, but it seems as though the private schools are generally the ones where you will find better discipline. But then again, what do I know? Not much yet! I might be completely wrong.

This is great feedback and is making me feel much better. I was worried to get into a classroom that has been described by others and have no rights to take control . Even though its a short time that you have been there it seems you have learnt a lot. I'm very interested to find out more about the differences. It sounds like you are having a great time. How long did it take you to find a job? Or did you go over with one?

Our children have been in the Victoria system for 4 years, both initially at a parish school.

I don't think that discipline is as strict here as it can be in SA (although I don't really know how strict the SA schools are anymore), but there is still discipline (it is probably just slightly more understated).

I would think that the level of discipline in a school probably also has something to do with the socioeconomic area of the school, as schools that have more socioeconomic issues generally have more behaviour issues (mainly because the children don't respond as well to a talking to). Now that is a gross generalisation, and I'm sure someone is going to say something.

• Like 1

Hi Lady Snoo

I have been teaching in Aus for the past 13 years now and am currently a Primary School Principal. The kids I teach (and have taught since being here) are delightful. One or two monkeys in each class, of course, as is the norm. But beautiful young people overall. I am fortunate enough to work in a Kindergarten - Year 12 school, and so have contact with students between the ages of 4 and 17. One of my greatest experiences was to take a group of 15 - 17 year olds (around 40 in total from all over Australia) to India to work in the homes of Mother Theresa's sisters. Those young people were the most incredible tribute to the younger generation of today. They were amazing and reinforced to me again what an absolute privilege it is to work with youngsters, no matter where in the world.

By the way, I am known to be a very firm teacher and a stickler for discipline, routine and respect. Trust me, you will find it a little different here but you will also realise that children are basically the same wherever you go in the world!

• Like 1

Hi Lady Snoo I have been teaching in Aus for the past 13 years now and am currently a Primary School Principal. The kids I teach (and have taught since being here) are delightful. One or two monkeys in each class, of course, as is the norm. But beautiful young people overall. I am fortunate enough to work in a Kindergarten - Year 12 school, and so have contact with students between the ages of 4 and 17. One of my greatest experiences was to take a group of 15 - 17 year olds (around 40 in total from all over Australia) to India to work in the homes of Mother Theresa's sisters. Those young people were the most incredible tribute to the younger generation of today. They were amazing and reinforced to me again what an absolute privilege it is to work with youngsters, no matter where in the world. By the way, I am known to be a very firm teacher and a stickler for discipline, routine and respect. Trust me, you will find it a little different here but you will also realise that children are basically the same wherever you go in the world!

Thanks so much for this feedback. I have taught all over SA so i do agree that children are the same wherever you go. I guess what I was worried about is ...are teachers hands tied in tough situations as well as day to day misdemeanors? You have answered my question in this comment by being able to refer to yourself as a firm teacher. I was worried this was frowned upon in Aus . This comment has made me feel more confident and excited at the opportunities Aus can offer me in teaching. I'm looking forward to seeing the differences and adapting but in the same breath being true to my own teaching style. Great feedback thanks again...

This is great feedback and is making me feel much better. I was worried to get into a classroom that has been described by others and have no rights to take control . Even though its a short time that you have been there it seems you have learnt a lot. I'm very interested to find out more about the differences. It sounds like you are having a great time. How long did it take you to find a job? Or did you go over with one?

I came here with the job. A miracle only God could have orchestrated, since it was halfway through their school year.

• Like 1