Laptops in High Schools

Guest May

Good day, I can contact all the schools that I have in mind but in the meantime if you can tell me what happens about the 1-1 laptop policy in Perth. In Brisbane my sons school has decided evens Yr8 will get the new Acer tablets so imagine the dismay when we return them at the end of the year.

We pay $250 per year which one should consider includes insurance and support/ after the 5 years you arent given the option of keeping them...they get reformated and given to charities.

What happens in high Schools in WA?

Cant buy hi one cash that he can use for school and personal use? Of course he will get to keep it, as its his. Then insure it yourself and save the $250 per year.

They wouldn't allow you to take one from home into the classroom for insurance purposes. Actually the laptop policy or Digital Education Revolution quietly ended on June 30 this year so I don't know what will happen in the future.

http://deewr.gov.au/questions-national-secondary-school-computer-fund

Currently it is only years 9 to 12 that get the laptops, individual schools have extended this to year 8 but it is not government policy. When my daughter was in year 7 her primary school introduced a laptop program and we paid about the same............those laptops were wrecked in a couple of months.

I had to pay for the insurance $150 for my daughters Apple laptop which the school provided & she has had for nearly 2 years now. I am led to believe we are able to buy the laptop when she leaves (this year). It is a private school, not too sure if that makes a difference?

Depends on a few things: public or private school. Generally in private schools, the trend is towards student expected to have a laptop/iPad or something similar- no uniform policy. For public schools: it depends on the school, independent public schools make their own policy and more and more public schools are becoming independent public schools- So in short; it depends on the specific school.

• 6 months later...

Revisiting this in the event that some parents know something I don/t. In QLD we rented laptops from the school Y8 and Y9. In Perth Josh Y10 gets a laptop FREE not sure what that means. Well I should hope so because am I understanding correctly that at a State School I have to fork out nearly $1300 for a Macbook Air? I would never spend that kind of money on myself let alone a 13 year old and all at once!!!

OMG.....can I get assistance or pay off although the form says ...paid in full.