Selective High Schools Sydney

Pell

Hi, please help!

Background: I made an enrolment enquiry to a Sydney North selective high school (for year 11 in 2015) and I was told that any places offered are:

1. Only for Australian citizens

2. Only if people leave the school.

Does that mean that a Permanent Resident has no chance of getting into a selective school? How does one go about it?

Many thanks in advance!

I have never heard of a difference being made between citizens and permanent residents in NSW schools. Did you ring from RSA? Maybe they made assumptions? From a quick google search it looks like they take 213 year 7 pupils. And then I just assume, if a child was successful in obtaining a place among the 213, they would hang onto their places at all cost. Unless, of course, they move far away, in which case you could be in the running for the spot. But, I can only assume, a year 11 spot, in a popular selective school will be very scarce. Unless your child has super high marks, in which case he might be moved higher up the waiting list? Sorry, I have no magic advice for you. I would probably ring again, try and speak to someone else (after researching the PR/citizen difference) and at least get my child on the waiting list. Then also look at other schools, as it seems this basket is full.