Advice - Weekly expenses

Katrol

Hi Everyone

Need some assistance if anyone is willing to help me
out. We are trying to work out a rough
budget. Some items I am not so sure of,
I would really appreciate some ones input.
Even if it is just an estimate, at least it will be something to work
with.

Weekly expenses:

Gas, Electricity & Water

Cell phone
Internet

Vehicle insurance, small – Getz or similar

Life insurance – 2 adults

House hold insurance

2 children before and after school fees (They will be in
State primary school but looking for cost for aftercare)

Thank you so much for your time.

Some of those items are monthly like cell, internet and insurance afaik...

Someone did an awesome excel spreadsheet with expense for a family of 4 over a year period. Will look for it.....

Really depends. You have a lot of choice. Mobile(cell) plans can start from $19 per month. Including is a certain amount of calls and data. It will depend on your usage. Also do research before signing contracts on coverage and what overseas rates you get. Water/rates again, depends on usage and your house's govt. valuation I pay approx $240 per quarter water and $330 rates. Most after school/before school care is subsidised. ( Not sure for non residents) Do you know where your kids will be going to school? Contact them directly. The ratio of cares to kids will be reducing as of next year so fees are likey to increase (1 carer per 4 children. Currently 1:5). Life insurance, again this will depend. The dollar amount you want, your age, your occupation, smoking status. If you'll be working, your employer will contribute to your Superannuation Fund (pension). You can take Life TPD and income protection inside your Super, though there may be some caps, it saves out of pocket payments if you're on a budget while kiddies are young or your debt is high. Talk to a financial planner. The information should be free. Hmmmm. I can't see you question as I reply, trying to remember what else you wanted estimates on.......

Look at www.choosi.com.au for insurance comparisons. Take care before applying though. Sometime you get what you pay for, happy to recommend from what I know. Internet, again, plans vary. We have 100gig and our home phone included for $88 per month. There are cheaper plans but you have to look at the customer service, provider availability in your area and reliability of the provider too. The NBN is progressively being rolled out too. ( National Broadband Network) super fast. More competitive pricing from what I hear. :)

As everyone else has said, it can vary widely.

Our family spends WAY less the many other people. But that is because of our way of life, and because I'm the only one with an income (which isn't that high).

But, we don't have a TV - don't want one either. We have 20gigs of internet which is fine for us. We are only on prepaid and spend very little per month, etc. etc.

So, again, it depends on how frugal you want to be, how much cover you want, etc.

The best way to really find out is to search all the things online yourself, find plans etc. that are in line with your liking and then add it all up. This is what I did before we came and I have been remarkably accurate with my budget.

Thank you so much for all your replies. I really appreciate your input. Still trying to get use to working in $$$$'s. I completely understand that everyones expenses vary from family to family. I was just looking to work out an estimate. I have managed to work out a budget going on all your advice and at least I have peace of mind cause it looks ok. :blush-anim-cl:

Thank you all again :ilikeit:

Hi Everyone

Need some assistance if anyone is willing to help me

out. We are trying to work out a rough

budget. Some items I am not so sure of,

I would really appreciate some ones input.

Even if it is just an estimate, at least it will be something to work

with.

Weekly expenses:

Gas, Electricity & Water agl.com.au

Cell phone telstra.com.au vodafone.com.au optus.com.au

Internet telstra.com.au tpg.com.au optus.com.au

Vehicle insurance, small – Getz or similar youi.com.au racq.com.au nrma.com.au

Life insurance – 2 adults

House hold insurance nrma.com.au racq.com.au

2 children before and after school fees (They will be in

State primary school but looking for cost for aftercare)

Thank you so much for your time.

Rather than give what we spend per month I've given a lot of sites were you can take your current RSA USAGE and plug the numbers in to get an Australian amount. That takes away the difference in families

Our spend is as follows for a family of 4 (2 children aged 21 and 17)

Gas, Electricity & Water - $650 per quarter (electricity [don't have gas at our current property] is with AGL)

Cell phone - $50 per month for 1.5MB of data and $750 for text and calls (this is with Vodafone)
Internet - $90 per month (which includes a landline) for 200GB which also includes a Telstra T-Box (telstra.com.au)

Vehicle insurance, small – Getz or similar - you'd probably be looking at around $90 per month (I drive a Mazda 2 and my insurance is with AAMI)

Life insurance – 2 adults (our life insurance costs about a total of $20 per week which is deducted from our super annuation fund automatically) - we are with Australian Super

House hold insurance - don't have any

2 children before and after school fees (They will be in State primary school but looking for cost for aftercare) - Unfortunately, do not have smaller kids so wouldn't be able to comment.

Hope this helps a little.

Before and after school care for kids, we pay $36 per child per day which is roughly $12 per hour per child per day. If you are PR then you should get at lest half of it back (I think up to when child turns 13) with child care rebate and depending on family income may get more with child care benefit (both from Centrelink)