Getting money out once you've left?

Donovan83

I have a tax refund due from SARS this year which I'd like to transfer over to Australia.

Anyone have a suggestion as to how to do this? I believe I can't use my credit card, and the amount is under R30 000 so I can't use Exchange4Free.

You can contact CashKows, they will help, but it will cost you the amount of the SWIFT fee to have it transferred. They rarely do it.

You can always have it transferred into my account and I will spend it for you :jester:

Do you still have an SA bank? There should be a downloadable form for a TT ( Telegraphic Transfer) if like Australia, the original would need to be received for processing SA end. Go to your Australian bank for all relevant details Swift Code etc that will be required.

Thanks for the tips guys, I'll look into all of them and choose based on whichever has the best rate for the least amount of hassle.

There is a way of transferring money through Paypal - it's perfect for smaller amounts and the effective rate you get (ie the rate plus their fees) is not too terrible. Yesterday I got a rate of about R9.55:$1 when the rate on xe.com was about R9.20.

So the basic steps are:

• Open a Paypal account in RSA using your RSA details and email address (this address will need to be different from the one you use to open your Australian account). Link it to your credit card.
  • Open a Paypal account in Australia with your Aussie details and a different email address. Link it to your bank account (Paypal doesn't allow you to withdraw funds into a credit card).
  • In the RSA account, choose to send money to your Australian account. The amount will be charged to your RSA credit card and you can withdraw it into your Aussie bank account.

I'm not sure how compliant this is with the requirements of the SARB (in fact I am pretty sure it's not since you're not filling in any balance of payments documentation), but it's a working alternative and it's useful for smaller amounts.

Thanks for the tips guys, I'll look into all of them and choose based on whichever has the best rate for the least amount of hassle.

There is a way of transferring money through Paypal - it's perfect for smaller amounts and the effective rate you get (ie the rate plus their fees) is not too terrible. Yesterday I got a rate of about R9.55:$1 when the rate on xe.com was about R9.20.

So the basic steps are:

• Open a Paypal account in RSA using your RSA details and email address (this address will need to be different from the one you use to open your Australian account). Link it to your credit card.
  • Open a Paypal account in Australia with your Aussie details and a different email address. Link it to your bank account (Paypal doesn't allow you to withdraw funds into a credit card).
  • In the RSA account, choose to send money to your Australian account. The amount will be charged to your RSA credit card and you can withdraw it into your Aussie bank account.
I'm not sure how compliant this is with the requirements of the SARB (in fact I am pretty sure it's not since you're not filling in any balance of payments documentation), but it's a working alternative and it's useful for smaller amounts.

SARS allowing you to bank refund to PayPal...not yet Pal!

You can contact CashKows, they will help, but it will cost you the amount of the SWIFT fee to have it transferred. They rarely do it.

Thanx Gideon! Yes email taxinfo@cashkows.com

I have a tax refund due from SARS this year which I'd like to transfer over to Australia.

Anyone have a suggestion as to how to do this? I believe I can't use my credit card, and the amount is under R30 000 so I can't use Exchange4Free.

Feel free to contact us at taxinfo@cashkows.com make the heading SAAustralia sars refund request refer Hugo/Dirk

If you don't find a solution then you could always transfer the fund into my account and I can deposit into your account when I get over at month-end.

I'm using Cashkows to transfer my funds, so I could assist you if you have no other alternatives.

SARS allowing you to bank refund to PayPal...not yet Pal!

They pay into my normal bank account, then I use Paypal to do a transfer. I doubt SARS even knows what "a Paypal" is :P

I'll send you a mail later - I'd rather do things properly and fill in all the proper forms and stuff than try to mess with the system.

Edited by Donovan83