Did I get lucky?

Zim

Whilst we were in perth last month on our activation / LSD trip. A friend suggested we go have a look at Quinn's baptist college. I went there and met with the principal who was very nice. She let me know as I was leaving that they have a place in year 1 for my son. A stroke of luck I thought, as their kindy places are like gold apparently and kids are on the list from birth.

I am now feeling a little restricted to that area, simply because I'm not sure how common it is to find a place at a Christian school on such short notice? I really liked the school and think my son would be very happy there, but if we were to expand our suburbs search do you think the chances of us getting a place at another Christian semi-private school are any good? Or as I said - did I get lucky?

Xxx

Our daughter is in a public school and I can honestly say that I am very happy. The school has better facilities than many of the top private schools in RSA. The principal is fantastic and the teachers are great too. I would not limit myself if I were you but I must admit that we decided where to live based on the school our daughter attends (we made this move for her after all). The great thing for me is that she is getting a much better education here than in RSA and it is free! And trust me when you get here you may want to save wherever you can.

That said, shop around. Speak to the locals and get their opinions and then make your decision. Good luck. It's more difficult when there are kids to consider. My favorite comment on my daughter's report after 1 term in the school was "has settled well and is a happy girl" :)

• Like 1

Hi Onyellowbrickroad,

May I ask you a question as to whether public schools are free in Australia? Has you mentioned that she is getting a better education in south africa and its free". Thanks mate. Just planning ahead at moment so any information may help.

If you are a permanent resident then public schooling is free. We only had to pay for uniforms and stationery and outings. Over and above that the government gives you money twice a year if you have school going kids to help pay for some expenses. (Not sure about the exact figure, but it is around $400 a year- check Centrelink website for actual amount).

• Like 1