Canberra - Oldish Rav for sale

OubaasDik

1999 model - 192,000 km - newish tyres

5 door - grey - good condition - runs well. Serviced in the last 1,000 kms

Usual parking lot dings - what can you expect

$4,000 - perfect for new arrival - second car or student - mainly because it's not really big enough for the whole family.

PM me if you're interested.

• Like 1

I wish I was there now...would love to have a look.....

can you wait until November? *evil grin*

Toitjie, I have a feeling that if you bat your eyes rather than offer an evil grin OBD may just be lulled into giving you a nice little friendship discount :)

• Like 1

Toitjie, I have a feeling that if you bat your eyes rather than offer an evil grin OBD may just be lulled into giving you a nice little friendship discount :)

Brad - two problems with that. OBD as far as I can tell is not the eye-lash batting type and I already admitted on another thread to having cats so he will probably eat the Rav before selling to a crazy person :)

PM sent

Not sure if buying a car so soon is the right thing to do, but it does make it easier to do groceries shopping.

Brad - two problems with that. OBD as far as I can tell is not the eye-lash batting type and I already admitted on another thread to having cats so he will probably eat the Rav before selling to a crazy person :)

It's the timing - my insurance says it must be in a garage and may OCCASIONALLY sleep outside, waiting months is not right, and I'd like to stop paying insurance.

Otherwise, I'd be fine adding $500 to the price and letting you use you feminine wiles on me to get the price down ..... the feminine wiles would have to be damn wily for R5,000. Hmmmmm - *drifts off into fantasyland from which he wakes later very sweaty, with eyes rolling wildly*. I probably wouldn't survive that much wiliness, but darn I'd die with a smile. ;)

Seriously, it's parked in the entrance, and I'd have to talk to my insurers.

For those wondering what it looks like - it's a lot like this ....

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Toyota-RAV4-1999/SSE-AD-2070136/?Cr=2

Less mileage lower price - because I'm just nice ...... this one isn't mine, BTW.

Edited by OubaasDik

oh my goodness....please don't die of a heart attack :whome:

I think I will have to let this one go...Jacques will be there way before me and I dont want to cause any trouble with your insurance :)

I love that RAV - I visited a friend of mine last week on their farm near Montagu and they drive one exactly like that. It has a lot of power, I enjoyed driving it.

Personally, I think he would opt for the evil grin before the batting of eyelashes.................mind you I can see the Canberra Times headlines......."Man found uncounscious, eyes rolling wildly, admitted to hospital for tests"

OBD, can you wait 2 months or is this an urgent sale?

How much would your insurance be for that 2 months?

Perhaps we can work something out... unfortunately I have no feminine flairs to sweeten the deal but I could offer an Afrikaans CD for your new car.

Do you have some pictures of your car?

I'm assuming it is same spec, manual 2.0L permanent 4WD, grey cloth interior.

Is it acceptable to sleep in one's car for a while? I'll call it an extended camping experience... :-)

Edited by Jacques Voogt

lol...I had the same impressions Andrea

But....OBD, thanx for the website. I had a look at the cars and one thing I see that is very different from SA websites for cars like autotrader is the high kilo's....in SA such high kilo's means you will really struggle to sell your car, in Oz I get the impression its the norm...or maybe I was just looking at the cheapies

but even so...a Getz 2002 goes for $3999 and my Getz in SA is a 2007 and I can barely get R 45 000 for it.

Can I buy a car from SA just before we land? If I pay money into someone's account, can they buy it on my behalf and I then just register it when we land?

I wouldn't get that stressed about it. There are a lot of cars for sale. Mileage may be high but remember most cars don't do more than 100km per hour.

There will be no problem buying decent used cars Toitjie, just make sure you do a bit of comparison and don't buy the first deal you see.

sharp...thanx :) I have my heart set on a RAV4. I see there are quite a few available so hopefully by November there will be a good deal just waiting for me

OBD, can you wait 2 months or is this an urgent sale?

How much would your insurance be for that 2 months?

Perhaps we can work something out... unfortunately I have no feminine flairs to sweeten the deal but I could offer an Afrikaans CD for your new car.

Do you have some pictures of your car?

I'm assuming it is same spec, manual 2.0L permanent 4WD, grey cloth interior.

Is it acceptable to sleep in one's car for a while? I'll call it an extended camping experience... :-)

Hi Jacques .... as Andrea says - there are plenty of cars on that site.

It is very similar to that one - same engine, transmission, fulltime 4WD and so on - mine has "bull bars" (more like butterfly bars, but ...), and a roof rack.

I can take photos and send them to you, but remember a few things - Canberra is 2 hours away from Sydney, and when you get here, you may not even like the car ....

Hi OBD, Andrea

Yup, about 11,500 cars available under $5000

We were thinking of buying something about 5 years old with finance and paying it off quickly to build a credit record. Only 6 cars are available under $5000 and 2008 or newer.

Going older it becomes cheaper of course but less probable that banks would finance it. Well at least that is the case in RSA. Personally I have never driven a car with less than 148,000km on the clock in RSA and tend to sell them when they start to approach 300,000km but older cars do tend to require more maintenance, not because of mileage, but because rubber degrades over time.

So in comparison to others I do think yours is priced around what a dealer would give you for it give or take a couple of $100 so it does not sound overpriced to me.

It is also not a diesel burner, so less complicated maintenance.

And you are quite right, I may or may not like it, but we have never been in Canberra either, so perhaps we will make it a day trip. If there is a train.

So, please send me the pictures. I could possibly also ask extended family to go and have a look for me. Not sure if they will go the distance but hey, I can ask.

OK, boet - if you're sure - I don't have any photos yet - I'll have to do them Saturday or Sunday.

No daylight on workdays at the moment. Probably going to be about -2 tomorrow, foggy and warming up later - sun down by 5pm.

Actually a dealer would maybe give me $2,000. Which is why there's always room to haggle when you buy.

Thanks Oubaas. I'll wait for those pictures... and pass it by the wife.

Well Jacques used his some or other wiles on me and the car should be his provided it doesn't get stolen, hit by a meteorite, crushed by a tank from the invading zombie armies or other likely acts of man and nature.

• Like 1

congrats to both of you then!

• Like 1

After all.......it is an ex OBD pre-owned........priceless......

After all.......it is an ex OBD pre-owned........priceless......

Specially the Vierkleur sticker .....

• Like 1

You are too naughty by far....always trying to start a riot.....I'm watching you :angry2:

You are too naughty by far....always trying to start a riot.....I'm watching you :angry2:

And you think there isn't one? Ohhhh Kayyyy

It is actually known as the "5 kleur" or as the "4 kleur oorlogsvlag"

Yep the orange in it a swell.

If I'd given it as the Battle flag or such, many would've gone "Huh?"