Unemployment Stats

Guest May

So we know times are tough and ....and.... I would like to know which state has the highest unemployment figures at the moment. Where do I source that information? Is it by any chance QLD with all that restructuring they did last year.

Meh - nevermind that was for the country.

Edited by Donovan83

Tasmania has the highest unemployment rate as far as I know but also has a smaller population. Therefore it is possible nsw may have more unemployed when counting physical bodies but as a percentage of population it is lower. Now you also need to take into account the job market its no good going to Tasmania looking for a mining job.

This document provides good insight into the economic conditions and sentiments across the Small & Medium enterprise markets (size 1-199 people) in Australia. I found that many factors may influence the employment rate and by looking at trends over time its easier to depict potential turning points that may help my planning.

I also found SME markets to be a good barometer to use as they are the first to recruit or to reduce staff while large companies (size >200 people) tend to take longer to implement new strategies.

http://about.sensis.com.au/IgnitionSuite/uploads/docs/Sensis_Business_Index_June2013.pdf

• 6 months later...