457 & PR

When going to Aus on the 457 visa, how soon could you apply for PR? Do you need to wait 2 years or could you do it on your own? I have also read somewhere in all the info on the site that employers does not cover PR applications...what is that about? Do you need your employers assistance to get PR?

Hi Marlene

You can apply for PR any time on a 457 visa. We have been in Australia for about 5 months on a 457 visa and we sent in our PR application last Friday :thumbdown: . From what I understand the only time you have to wait 2 years is if your employer is sponsoring your PR.

Good luck

Gaille

Edited by The Parsons Family

Thanks for the encouragement. Did you do it on your own, or through your employer?

Hi

We did all the paperwork before we left SA, we were just waiting for my skills assessment which came through a couple of weeks ago. We did it through an agency so they do all the following up for us, it has made it a lot less stressful on us but it takes longer because all the forms have to be sent backwards and forwards before they are actually completed.

They reckon we will only receive a confirmation on the receipt of our application in 6 weeks time, we will just have to forget we have applied and hopefully we will get PR in a year :thumbdown: .

Cheers

Gaille

Edited by The Parsons Family

When going to Aus on the 457 visa, how soon could you apply for PR? Do you need to wait 2 years or could you do it on your own? I have also read somewhere in all the info on the site that employers does not cover PR applications...what is that about? Do you need your employers assistance to get PR?

Hi Marlene

We cam eover on a 457 visa and then after 2yrs we did an employee sponsored PR - not sure which visa it was. I was under the impresiosn the reason the company would only do the PR visa after 2yrs because they wanted to get a reurn on investment :ilikeit:

Shows you how much I read the fine print :ilikeit: - apparently is is legislated this way - refer this posting - the last posting by Caro.

I also made a posting last week on my thoughts about a 457 visa vs a PR visa - cant find the posting now - will look again. There are pros and cons to both.

For us it was all about getting here as quickly as possible and a 457 is definitely that - visa processing took less than 6weeks including getting that dreaded unabridged marriage certificate. In the end from start to arrival in Syd was less than 3mnths. There is a big catch in that you need to make sure you want to work for the company sponsoring you as you cant just go find another job - the 457 visa is linked with the company employing you - If you leave you need to ensure that new company will sponsor you.

What also appealed to us was that the company paid for pretty much everything - visa costs, relocation agents, container charges, airfares, temp accomodaiton for 3weeks and a few other things. SO we did not need to eat into our capital - so when we had to put that 6week upfront rental bond - it wasnt extra on top of everything else - especially as we had not sold our house yet.

Rgds

matman

Hi Marlene

We are also here on a 457 visa and have sent our application for 136 PR visa off beginning of March 2007. If you qualify for PR today you can apply today.

Cheers

D

Thanks heaps All! Much appreciated. We are also going the sponsored route because it takes us over the quickest way, but I would for obvous reason like to apply for PR as soon as possible and not get away from the employer who is sponsoring us. They seem a really good company and it is not as if we are only accepting just to get a foot into AUS.

Am I correct in saying that if I could get this employer to also sponsor our PR application it will be quicker than to do it on our own?

Am I correct in saying that if I could get this employer to also sponsor our PR application it will be quicker than to do it on our own?

Generally yes, but if you apply for an ENS (permanent employer sponsored) visa, your company (sponsor) needs to complete some paperwork as well, so your fate is not entirely in your own hands.

Whereas in a skilled independent (136) visa, everything depends on yourself and you're not reliant on your employer as much as if you applied for an ENS visa.

Peter

Thanks Peter. What form would we need for the ENS?

Thank you very much! This helps a lot!

Another question:

According to the sponsor the application is on its way to be lodged.....hmmm...don't we need to do anything???