Mentone

mittwelt

Has anyone on the forum ever lived in Mentone??? What is this area like and what is the distance to the city centre???

Thanks. Another one to add to the Melbourne suburb list. I'm headed out there in September to look for a job and a place to rent. Will come back for the family in December.

Another suburb I kind of "like" is Montmerency, cheaper homes and good location. I say "like" because I don't actually know, just basing this on Google research.

Hey, Google was how we picked our new home. We landed and explored the surroundings and then picked. All in all I think we found the perfect place to stay. +1 for Google maps. :ilikeit:

• Like 1

Hey, Google was how we picked our new home. We landed and explored the surroundings and then picked. All in all I think we found the perfect place to stay. +1 for Google maps. :ilikeit:

I've also been using the Domain.com.au iPad app. Its quite slick and integrates with Google maps and streetview. You also then get an indication of house prices etc for the area.

Mentone is on the bay and about 40 minutes from the city. There is a train line so public transport is relatively easy. It is a fine place to live and I think it is quite orientated towards the bay. We have never lived there but have spent time on the bay there. It is a short distance from Black Rock, which is a popular Saffa hangout for those with a bit more cash. There are okay streets and better streets. It has a well regarded Catholic high school (St Bedes) for boys. Friends of mine lived there for a bit and they enjoyed it.

Thanks for all the info, been wading through it all day!!!

We drive through the area quite a bit and seems fine beach one side - bit of industry on the other.

A variety of housing types old and new in the area.

Depending where you are heading to work - the train can be packed in the peak hours as it goes services all the way to Frankstone as can driving along the Nepean if coming into the CBD.

You mentioned Montmorency... Fantastic suburb, also Greensborough (eastern side) and Eltham. Great family suburbs with lots of trees, birds, good schools, and 40 minutes by train to the city.

We just moved here 7 months ago and love it.

• Like 2

Just seen HansaPlease's post - again just an area I have driven through that area but I love the green and the more varied terrain of the Greensborough & Eltham areas. I would imagine similar distances to the CBD - and that the train is probably a lot less packed (than the Mentone one coming from Frankstone) if you get on at peak times that distance out.

You might also look at the Heidelberg area if you are looking in that direction?

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the info! Our girls are booked into a school in mentone and would imagine its easier to be closer to the school??? Will have to do a tip out there and check it out!!!

Nice to know!!! We are pretty much set on Mentone to be close to our girls school. How is the commute to the CBD and is there an ice skating rink close by??? All the info you can provide would be so welcome. Would love to meet up when we arrive later this year for our activation.

There are great secondary schools in Mentone, both state and private. Especially if you have girls. We currently live in Aspendale and are seriously considering to Mentone for that reason (at least for a while).

The Express train to the City is just under 30 min, they go often during peak hour. The Nepean Highway is pretty free-flow during week-ends - it'll take you about 35 min. (estimate) to get into town. Mentone borders Beaumaris, which is a slightly more upmarket suburb, and very liveable Parkdale on the other side, which we are also considering as it is a bit leafy if you stretch your imagination.

It will be an adjustment if you come from Gauteng, especially if you're used to living in new houses. Mentone houses are generally not new, with a mix of light coloured bricks and weather-board, interspersed with some new renovations.

We really like the ease of living, with parks, walkways, sports fields (coaching), pool (parkdale), ten-pin bowling, adventure golf, roller skate rink and off course the beach! The kids really can get out (still supervised in our case). Mordialloc is fairly close which is a nice sea side town centre.

You also will find Southland shopping centre is as good as most medium sized shopping centres in SA. The warehouse type businesses in Moorrabbin cater for (more) cost effective products if you're watching your budget - e.g. buying a car roof box. The immediate stretch of the Nepean highway is developing fast. We now have car service station (hyundai, ford, ...), Bunnings (very important), Furniture warehouses.

This area is in my opinion up and coming, with gentrification trickling down from the north.

All in all a good standard of living ideally spent out-doors.

• Like 1

What an awesome summary of the area, thank you so much. We have enrolled our two girls into mentone girls grammar thus would really like to live close to the school, if possible. We currently live in Big Bay, Cape Town and the Mentone area seems to be quite similar!!! How exciting.

Cool! Do let me know when you're going to be around. It would be great to meet up. Feel free to DM me and so we can make a plan!

The length of commute depends on the time of day. It's usually 40 minutes by train, but there are express services during peak times and then it's half an hour. I work in South Melbourne which is just our side of the city. I usually take the train, but if I drive it's half an hour if I leave before seven. Can take up to an hour if the traffic is really bad. The train is better for getting to the CBD because parking there is very expensive.

I know there's an ice skating rink near the city. Not sure of anything closer but I'll let you know if I discover there is one.

I will definitely do that Nessa. We have been scouting the rental sites to find a suitable place for us to stay. It appears that there are some lovely properties to rent in the area. We are a family of four (me, hubby and two girls) and we are also bringing our two Jack Russels and two cats with us. We are very excited to get there. Will keep you posted.

Great! Yes, there are some lovely places.

Maybe our dogs can be friends, too - we have a black lab :)

Something to note is that not all rentals are pet-friendly. (Ours is, so they do exist!) A lot of people have pets anyway, and just make sure they go to visit friends when the agent comes to do an inspection (this happens about once a year) or carry out repairs.

Good luck with all your preparations!