Has anybody joined Engineers Australia?

Skrag001

After finishing my engineering degree I never bothered to become a professional engineer via SAIEE/ECSA but now that I'm moving to AUS I think it might be worth while joining Engineers Australia and getting accredited. Has anybody been through the process and have any suggestions/pointers.

Regards

Johan

In order to do skilled migration based on your engineering skills you need to have your skills assessed by Eng Aus. You need to lodge a separate application to become a member. This becomes just a formality if you have obtained your Skilled Migration Visa. The process and costs are all on their website. However if you want to be Chartered as a certified professional engineer you need to go through another Competency Assessment process. There is no requirement that you have to do the latter except if your position requires you to sign-off on designs. In Queensland the rules are different and their assessments are done separately.

Everything you need is here: http://www.engineersaustralia.org.au/

Also join the EA group on Linkedin and get firsthand information from other engineers etc. Will it help you to get a job? Yes and no as its a prerequisite in Queensland but not for other areas. Some position may require membership or eligibility for membership.

The single biggest advantage is the free networking events for members but again you can still attend for a small fee if you not a member.

Good luck

ottg (MIEAust)

Thanks ootg. I went another route to get my visa. I had my skills in IT accredited via RPL (Recognition of Prior Learning) via ACS(Australian Computer Society). I was just wondering if its worth while becoming a member of Engineers Australia. From what you have said it seems like the benefits would be marginal but still worth while. Now for a totally different question: So South Africa signed the Washington accord in 1999. My engineering degree was awarded by an accredited university but in 1999. Signatories to the Washington accord does not have to accept accreditation from signatories before they signed (its done at each signatories discretion). I have already sent an email to Engineers Aus to see if the reconise my qualifications but, what do you guys think? Does anybody have experience?

Regards

Johan

Its a formality: Copied directly from the EA website

I have an overseas engineering qualification?

You do not need to complete a Stage 1 Assessment if your qualification is accredited under one of the following accords:

Professional Engineer – Washington Accord

Engineering Technologist – Sydney Accord

Engineering Associate – Dublin Accord

Yep. But if say for example you received your qualification before South Africa signed the Washington accord (1999) then its up to the signatory countries to decide if they accept the qualification from before the signing of the accord. Mine is on the border so I'm not sure and I cannot find anything on their site to either say yes or no. Guess I'll have to wait until they answer my email :)

Yep...my hubby joined Engineers Australia at the beginning of this year. They also did his skills and work assessment. Just the other day I renewed his membership with them for another 6 months. When we discussed the pros and cons of signing up we felt that if he was recognised and associated with Engineers Australia that that could only help...even a little. So anything that is Australian that is linked to you may be of help in my not so very educated opinion...lol...We just covering our bases.