Recommended cities for IT/Engineering Jobs

Skrag001

Hi All

I'm sure this has been discussed a million times :) But which cities would you guys recommend for IT or Engineering(Electronic) jobs? My wife is quite keen on Sydney since we have a couple of friends that are there already but I'm a bit weary of moving to the most expensive city in the world.

Regards

Johan

From what I have seen in order from most jobs offered down:

Sydney

Melbourne

Perth

Canberra (these require security clearance)

I am in IT myself and hoping to find something on the Gold Coast or Brisbane but can live with Melbourne. Also not to keen to head to Sydney until I can afford it.

My hubby also in IT, so thank you for the post...

haha, South Africa is going to be left with a major IT skills shortage

That's not a joke. Our company has been trying to hire for the the last 6-8 months and the level of talent is shocking.

Yup, at least the new certification levels are much higher now such as mcse 2012, I should know as I recently completed these and others so that I don't have to rely on just a lot of IT experience. In fact, I had to print the Form 80 page that you list your qualifications on four times just to fit everything in their format, add 17 years experience as well at all levels and sorry for you South Africa, I am out of here.

I suspect in a lot of industries, many people on the forum are in a similar situation.

Now just waiting in anticipation for my CO to review the extra documentation requested which I sent through last Friday...

Yip. I'm a Java developer in Cape Town and our company is finding it impossible to find devs. I'm hoping this skills shortage extends all the way to Melbourne, although I note that the 5000 odd migration quota has been reached for the year.

When I was looking for a tech it took 9 months, 4 A4 boxes and 7 level arch files of CV's before I found ONE suitable candidate...

Hi

I am also in IT. Moved from Auckland to Sydney last year.

I think Sydney will have more IT jobs. The first 2 - 3 weeks it was a bit slow in getting interviews but it did pick up after that. When I searched for work there were more than double the amount of jobs I applied for than in Brisbane. I am not saying you will struggle to get work, it is just less to choose from.

Me being in Sydney at the time and not in Brisbane played a huge factor in not getting interviews setup in Brisbane. Most companies and recruitment agencies want you to be there when applying for work and be available, although the interview might only happen a week or two later.

Sydney in general pays higher salaries. This info is based on April/May 2012 so I think things might have changed a bit.

Sydney got a lot to offer, especially traffic and a lot of it :D . People from Johannesburg should be used to it.

Good luck

My wife and i are in Melbourne so of course it is better :)

But here is a bit of info that i put together last year:

On the recruitment sites:
6,244 Information & Communication Technology jobs in Sydney
3,948 Information & Communication Technology jobs in Melbourne
1,483 Information & Communication Technology jobs in Brisbane
1,083 Information & Communication Technology jobs in Perth
934 Information & Communication Technology jobs in Australian Capital Territory
344 Information & Communication Technology jobs in Adelaide
75 Information & Communication Technology jobs in Gold Coast
34 Information & Communication Technology jobs in Darwin
23 Information & Communication Technology jobs in Hobart

My take on the cities:

We are in Melbourne but i have now made 6 trips to Sydney, a trip to Brisbane (For work and holiday) and we have friends in Perth

First off, people will rabidly defend the cities that they live in, just remember though, that even with negative comments every Auz city's worst areas are better than the best SA areas

Melbourne is the laid back city, spread out, not much of a costal feel even though it is on the coast, reminds me a lot of cape town’s attitude

Sydney is the business capitol, they are a white collar and corporate, very costal feel to it though, it has a joburg attitude with a Durban landscape, i have seen more hobo's in Sydney in those trips than in the 8 months i have been in Melbourne, not sure why they are so prevalent, although you cannot compare crime anywhere in Auz to SA, if you go to news.com.au all the problem stories seem to be in Sydney

Perth is the second south africa, you trip over peeps from SA there, but it is reeeeeealy far from the rest of oz, they might as well be on another continent (Indonesian holidays - even some thailand holidays are cheaper than a holiday on the eastern side of Auz), you need to want to stay in a town feeling place though, definitely not big city
Personally i wouldn’t want to leave Melbourne, Sydney is to corporate for me, I like big city too much for Perth and Brisbane is too much of a holiday city for the type of work i am in, i would rather stay where i am and visit the other cities on holiday

Ahhh ... So there is jobs in Hobart ... :) I've been joking with my wife that we should do the Hobart or Darwin thing just for a change ... :). Thanks for the feedback Nev. My feeling that Melbourne would suite my best but since we have friends/semi-family in Sydney we will probably end up in Sydney, even if its is only initially.

Yep, one of those 23 jobs could be yours :P