Maktub

Hi all,

Was doing a little "research" at uni today (okay okay: fb, twitter, saaus etc) :grads: and happened to come across this place! Have never heard of it before, and it only opened in Feb this year:

http://www.shebeen.com.au/

Looks like a fab place! They also have a fb page, and by the looks of things you can have RSA wines, savannahs, windhoeks, biltong, Namibian craft beers, rooibos tea etc there! And, to make you feel less guilty, its a not-for-profit bar! :D

Let us know if anyone has been here!

(Sorry if this has already been posted, did a quick search and cannot seem to find it on here)

And all this time I thought you were working hard at your studies. :P

• Like 1

I just saw the word Shebeen

Ouch, AUS10 for a beer

AUD50 for a bottle of wine, what the.....

I guess that is because they are imports and it is for a good cause however I will have to be earning Aussie dollars before I could venture there.

Edited by MarkSalter
  • Like 1

Wow, read the menu (not that there is much food on it but I love the concept) and see where the funds go, great stuff http://www.shebeen.com.au/media/W1siZiIsIjIwMTMvMDUvMTAvMDdfNThfMjdfODI0X1NoZWJlZW5fbWVudS5wZGYiXV0/Shebeen+menu.pdf

Ironically started by 2 Aussie students.

• 3 months later...

Hey guys

We went there this past Saturday for a Windhoek and ended getting a bottle of Boschendal and some snacks. Was a great night!

Very chilled atmosphere but gets lively later on in the evening.

Worth a trip down Manchester lane.

Might have to look into this one Friday afternoon after work ;)

• 2 months later...

Shebeen is awesome. In one of the little laneways surrounded by wonderful little shops.

It's not only South African products and food they serve/sell, but food/drinks from a variety of developing countries - e.g. Vietnam, Brazil etc. That makes for a very cool mix of yummies.

Best of all is that ALL PROCEEDS go towards charities in respective countries. You can find the whole (fascinating) way they do it here, towards the end on their menu.

Try the "Jesus Juice" ice cream - made with Pepsi & Pinotage!

We went this weekend and it felt like stepping into a South African mini supermarket. It was fun to look at all the SA candy, chips and sauces. We also had lunch there and bought a few things. They are not cheap, but the wine we bought was mostly the same price as the wine you buy at Woollies and the other shops. As a treat we got a small piece of droe wors, it was good to have a little bit of home.

• Like 1