Schools and zones

dkm

Hi. I am sure that this info is posted somewhere on the site but I cannot find it. If, for example, you rent a property in the correct zone and your children are accepted into the school and you move out of the zone. Will the children have to move to another school or not?

I am concerned as we may be able to afford a rental in an area, but when it comes to buying we may not be able to stay in the area.

Thanks for any advice.

I am also concerned about this - that's why I'm considering to homeschool the kids for the first few months / until we're settled.

What is involved with home schooling, do you need to register or get permission to do this ? Is there a chance that it may interfere with looking for work etc ?

Hi. I am sure that this info is posted somewhere on the site but I cannot find it. If, for example, you rent a property in the correct zone and your children are accepted into the school and you move out of the zone. Will the children have to move to another school or not?

I am concerned as we may be able to afford a rental in an area, but when it comes to buying we may not be able to stay in the area.

Thanks for any advice.

It is not a problem at all. You can move out of the school zone and keep your kids in the same school. We moved from one suburb to another which technically meant my kids had to move schools but I was never asked to move my kids out of their current school into another. It is all about continuity and making sure that the child's education does not get disrupted too much. My kids had friends living more than 10km from school and was still able to continue their education in the school they attended first.

Thanks for any advice.

The principal at my daughter's school said that this is the biggest problem they have at the moment. People move into the area for 6 months (because that is the minimum amount of time a zoned state school will accept on a rental agreement) just to get their kids into the school and then move away for whatever reason.

Once your child has been enrolled in the school they cannot ask you to leave no matter how far away you move.

• Like 1

Yep, the school my kids are enrolled in have confirmed that once you're in, you're in. Also once one sibling is in the school, they will accept other siblings regardless.

Also not all schools schools have zoning. I live in Maroondah in Melbourne and all five the state primary schools I visited told me that they could enroll my kids. This makes it difficult for the schools as they might have lots of kids one year but much less the next. But good for us as I was spoilt for choice.

These schools are all good with great facilities and results so it really depends where you are looking. High schools are a different story though.
Regarding home schooling - if you are used to this fine, but I must say after six weeks at home with me my girls were climbing the walls and couldn't wait to start school and kinder. The best thing to do for them once you arrive is getting them settled in school as soon as possible as it makes the experience much better for them. They really enjoy being busy and active and making friends at school much more than sitting at home.
But of course if you have been home schooling and they are used to it, that's different.
Edited by Sibella

My experience is they wont send you forms until you in the area and then must show 1 year lease going forward, they wont ask you to move your child. One parent has her children travelling 2 hours to school one way here in Brisbane. At our school we just said we would continue to look for a rental but I am struggling with Perth now.

What is involved with home schooling, do you need to register or get permission to do this ? Is there a chance that it may interfere with looking for work etc ?

I have no idea, but it cannot be too complicated. One only has to determine through which institution to do the home schooling, make sure to have the right equipment (PC, internet connection, printer), a lot of discipline, routine, dedication, make sure the syllabus is in line with Australia's and to expose the kids to other children. Obviously I won't job hunt while doing this, and for me this is not a long term plan, only interim until we know where to settle.

We have been told 1 years rental for all zoned areas here in Adelaide. Also on the high volume schools like Adelaide high, they will only accept you in year 8 in zone. After that even in zone they will only take you if there is space. No idea if you can fight that but that is what I was told. We are struggling to find a good school for Caitlyn right now as we just can't afford the 12K per year plus of the "good" private schools and the one she is at now which is 5k a year is not giving her enough academically and she is a bit frustrated and bored. Weighing all our options as we need to decide soon to get her in somewhere before next year. Once in though you can move out. Right of siblings also does NOT apply to all schools. You need to check with the schools first on this.

the school my son went to wanted a copy of a minimum six month lease before admitting kids to their school, if you moved after the lease was up there was no issue