Leave

What is statutory leave in NSW?

Hi Marlene

I am assuming this is the minimum amount of leave a company has to give its employees per annum. I did a seach on "statutory leave NSW" and this hit came up.

Extract from the NSW industrial relations website "Under the Annual Holidays Act 1944 (the Act), full-time and part-time employees in New South Wales are entitled to a minimum of four weeks paid leave per year for each 12-month period of employment."

You also need to read the exclsusions/caveats to this statement provided in the link above

Hope this helps

matman

What is statutory leave in NSW?

Most employers in professional occupations have individual contracts for employees. Generally, the average is about 20 days of annual leave in NSW, and if you work in a bank or financial institution, you get bank holidays on top of that.

Peter

Thanks Peter,

In the job offer it was just stated statutory leave and as NZ has only recently changed theirs to 20, I wondered.

This is also a question I had. So, the 4 weeks leave is 20 days (4weeks x 5 working days)? Stupid question :) , but just want to confirm....as 4 weeks can mean 20 days or 28 days...

This is also a question I had. So, the 4 weeks leave is 20 days (4weeks x 5 working days)? Stupid question :) , but just want to confirm....as 4 weeks can mean 20 days or 28 days...

Which is why I normally count in days and not weeks.

4 weeks should mean 20 days, which is the norm here in NSW.

Peter

Yup . . . . four weeks' leave on full pay is the norm in Australia, with Public holidays (about 10 throughout the year) as an extra amount of leave on full pay.

Working a rostered week that includes having to work on weekends may entitle you to an extra week's leave on full pay, making it five weeks in total.

Also, there is Long Service Leave which is three months leave on full pay every 10 years. If you work at least 7 years for the same company, you are entitled to a pro-rata payment on leaving, if you dont' take Long Service Leave beforehand.

Working for the Australian gov't for almost 28 years, my leave entitlement was:

4 weeks +

1 week (bonus for working rostered weekend work) +

1.3 weeks (1/10th of 13 weeks each year, after the first 10 years)

6.3 weeks on Full pay! + 10 public holidays in South Australia each year on Full pay.

Life is tough in Australia!

The statutory working week throughout Australia is 38 hours per week.

My son works an 8 hour day over 19 days, taking the 20th day off, so he works a "19-day month"

Edited by Bob

Life is tough in Australia!

Indeed it is, especially if you plan to own your own business :)

This is definitely one of the draw backs for me of moving Australia (corporate & personal tax is pretty steep as well) & it is for these reasons that we will not be bringing all our business there, just enough to qualify for the visa. Currently looking at other countries that offer more benefits to small business & have a more “entrepreneur friendly” labour relations regime. :)

Both the UK & US offer benefits to small businesses with certain maximum turnovers even if the owners are non resident ...

Edited by Barnone