Shuttle Service

LvD

I have been looking online for a shuttle service to take us from the airport to the flat in Richmond, but they only list their prices per person. I assume that if I make a booking for two people, they are going to probably send a small car and we are going to have 4x 70cm suitcases and 2x carry on suitcases.

Can anyone recommend a shuttle service they used when they arrived in Melbourne?

Here is one, that I have heard of, but never used. They will do for varying number of people.

http://www.melbournelimovans.com.au/

If you google the shuttle buses that do door to door, although they quote per person, they have a trailer to load the luggage, perhaps just check that they can take all your luggage.

Have you considered just catching a cab? It might be a bit more expensive, but so much more convenient if you have a lot of luggage and other stuff to juggle.

What is the per person price that they list?

Might even be worth just jumping in a taxi at the Airport. They can find you a wagon or minibus on the spot and there is a queue of taxis waiting so you'll never wait longer than a couple of minutes.

What time of day are you arriving? If it's during peak traffic times then a shuttle would be better as it's a fixed price, but if the roads aren't chaotic then a taxi shouldn't cost you more than $50-$60.

Edited to add: I doubt any shuttle companies would turn up in a small car anyway. They've seen it all before, and will probably turn up in a minibus with trailer and you'll share the trip with other people heading a similar direction. Just from my experience... Probably another reason to just get a taxi...

Edited by HansaPlease

What is the per person price that they list?

Might even be worth just jumping in a taxi at the Airport. They can find you a wagon or minibus on the spot and there is a queue of taxis waiting so you'll never wait longer than a couple of minutes.

What time of day are you arriving? If it's during peak traffic times then a shuttle would be better as it's a fixed price, but if the roads aren't chaotic then a taxi shouldn't cost you more than $50-$60.

Edited to add: I doubt any shuttle companies would turn up in a small car anyway. They've seen it all before, and will probably turn up in a minibus with trailer and you'll share the trip with other people heading a similar direction. Just from my experience... Probably another reason to just get a taxi...

If you do share a minibus, you PROBABLY won't have goats inside and chickens on the roof, but Andrea and Mara have it right, I think.

Okay.

We have done both. Don't bother with a shuttle. You either have to rent a minivan or take a large cab. It costs a bit more to get a maxi cab but not too much more.

Once you have your bags get in the taxi cab rank. When you get to the front of the queue the guy/Sheila will look at how much luggage you have and decide if you can fit in a regular cab or need a maxi cab a if you need a maxi they will flag one down for you. Be warned cabbies won't necessarily help you load your luggage - sometimes they just sit in the cab and watch you struggle.

As you are going to Richmond you will be asked if you want to take the East link and pay a toll or want to take the Eastern freeway. Tell them to take the Eastern, take Flemington road off the Tulamarine freeway, go via the Zoo, Alexander parade and turn right onto Hoddle street just before the Eastern freeway. I'm giving you directions as some cabbies have no idea and will simply plug your address into their Garmin and take you on the scenic drive. if you can give directions they will not take you for a ride. Once in Hoddle they should know which road to take to get to your accommodation but no guarantees. If I remember correctly you are the 2nd road after Victoria parade. Should cost you about $50. When you get there again you may have to unload on your own. No need to tip!

• Like 1

Well, if we do the work, then they will definitely not get a tip ;)

Don't worry, even if they do the work they don't have their hand out for a tip. It takes a bit of getting used to, but you have to remember that minimum wage is a liveable wage so no need for handouts.

Thank goodness :)

Thanks for all the advice ;)