Enrolment Day Care for 2014

VanWykeC

Wow I can't believe that it's a rule for a 4yr old child to attend 15 hours of pre school a week. That's amazing!

Just a reminder again for anyone reading, every state is different.

How do I calculate the amount that the government will rebate for child care if on PR, or does that depend on the salary we will earn?

Info on the Childcare rebate Just remember that a change of government can mean a change to the way these things are structured.

We had no problems getting our daughter into daycare in Perth. We started off with casual daycare (while my husband looked for a job) and I was already working.

I think it depends on where you plan to settle. We pay $325.5 per week (before the Child Care Rebate) for long day care.

Thanks rozellem. Will wait till we're there and then figure out what's closest to where we live.

Hi Everyone - just my two cents worth :) - Try Montessori

When we first arrived in Sydney with twin boys (2.5 years old), I "expected" them to be in school five days a week - as they had just started nursery school in Johannesburg, and were now climbing the walls out of boredom. What a shock: I quickly found out that day care at approx $80 - $90 per day/per child was only available one day a week. If I took one child to one day care, and found another day care for the other one, I may have found two days - but probably not the same days. And the centres I had a look at were scary!! So I took advantage of the playgroups and met some great friends. Most importantly, I found out about Montessori (put your judgements aside - and investigate). They accept kids from the day they turn 3 (but have to be potty trained - I've never been so motivated to achieve an outcome!!). This pre-school is for five days a week till 12pm and later as they get older. Even though they are "private" school fees, it still worked out cheaper than day care, and I could start work. This was a great way to start, they may want you to commit to 3 years (pre-school), however we took our boys out 1 year early to start Kindergarten (Grade 0) with their peers in a public school.

And if all else fails - the white wine is good here - just keep refilling!!

Edited by Ozfan

Montessori is brilliant, we looked into it, but at $12000 a year for a 3 year old (Mon-Fri, 9-12), it was out of our range. They also wanted to have you verbally commit to sending the child there for prinary school too, and we wanted him to go to a state primary, hopefully with kids he met in pre school.

Hi Everyone - just my two cents worth :) - Try Montessori

When we first arrived in Sydney with twin boys (2.5 years old), I "expected" them to be in school five days a week - as they had just started nursery school in Johannesburg, and were now climbing the walls out of boredom. What a shock: I quickly found out that day care at approx $80 - $90 per day/per child was only available one day a week. If I took one child to one day care, and found another day care for the other one, I may have found two days - but probably not the same days. And the centres I had a look at were scary!! So I took advantage of the playgroups and met some great friends. Most importantly, I found out about Montessori (put your judgements aside - and investigate). They accept kids from the day they turn 3 (but have to be potty trained - I've never been so motivated to achieve an outcome!!). This pre-school is for five days a week till 12pm and later as they get older. Even though they are "private" school fees, it still worked out cheaper than day care, and I could start work. This was a great way to start, they may want you to commit to 3 years (pre-school), however we took our boys out 1 year early to start Kindergarten (Grade 0) with their peers in a public school.

And if all else fails - the white wine is good here - just keep refilling!!

Note for those that have PR you would get half that $80/$90 back up to $7500 per year. So if you only used one day it would cost at most $45, or sometimes even a little less depending on your income.

Edited by Fish