Insurance for professionals

pikkewyn

Hi all!

We are moving to Perth beginning of August, as permanent residents...

Some questions which I find difficulty finding answers for please!?

1. What are the best banks to open an account with? (what is considered the FNB of Australia? ;) )

2. Which cellphone network is the best? I already determined that Vodafone is the worst?!

3. I have a broker in SA who maintains all my insurance and investment policies via PPS. Are there companies in Australia similar to PPS, who offer insurance and investment opportunities for (only) professional people like engineers, doctors, lawyers? I found that this makes a lot of sense in SA as the premiums are much less and the cover is excellent as it is slightly more exclusive that for instance OUTsurance..?

4. Does anybody have a contact for good brokers in Perth??

5. We are planning on sending across a few boxes with our linen, clothes, photos and so on - which are good companies to contact for shipping sturdy boxes?

Thanks to all! :ilikeit:

Hi Pikkewyn - I don't have answers to your questions, but I was just chatting to my husband about his PPS and whether to continue paying into it here (if we can) or rather start something similar over there. We are also heading to Perth, so I will also be interested in the replies you get to your questions.

I have heard Move Cube mentioned on this forum for those people not taking containers, but I don't have any personal experience and I can't recommend them. You can search the forums and you will find quite a few posts that mention Move Cube though.

Good luck!

Hi, welcome and good luck. We also going over early August.

Here's our take on your questions.

1. We opened accounts with Commonwealth Bank of Australia, easy and no hassles.

2. I'd say most people rate Telstra the best, especially their 4G network known as NextG.

3. PPS is international, so you can arrange to keep it going from Australia. CashKows can assist in helping with moving your funds from SA to OZ. They are also PPS agents and can also assist as your advisors in Australia for all things PPS. I've decided against this and have asked mine to be ended and the Surplus Rebate be cashed out.

4. Sorry, no help for you there.

5. I'll defer to those who've done the box thing. :)

I'm not sure how wise it is to keep local investments going ie AUD to ZAR and then back to AUD one day (hopefully)!

I suppose it's a personal choice but personally I'd cut and run!

• Like 1

Hi,

1) Really no bad banks. We opened Commonwealth while we were in SA, there is a SA tollfree number you can dial on their website

2) I do not think there are bad ones. I am with Virgin (only one willing to enter contract with me without employment) my wife with Vodaphone pay as you go. no issues

3/4) We kept PPS life but reduced income protection and disability to minimum units. It is also possible to 'park' PPS for 12 months - check with broker. Income protection etc usually linked to Super in Australia so you will not need a broker. Since Super is compulsory, retirement annuities etc not really an option here. Since all people earn a decent salary and are reasonably honest there does not appear to be a need for an 'exclusive' insurance group such as PPS

5) Can't help with this. Don't bring gordyne and considering the cost of shipping not sure it is worthwhile shipping clothes and linen, may be better to buy here.

Thanks all for the feedback,

It seems that (point 5) the move cube option is a good one, and costs a fraction of the price of a container :)

here we come!

• 1 month later...

Just wrote quite a lengthy reply in feed. Which Super is Super. Should help with your insurance questions. Or at least pose some new questions :) I have quite a lot to do with this in my role. I would definitely recommend seeing a Financial Planner when you move here. The discussion costs nothing (at least where I work) :) and you will come out better informed.

The discussion costs nothing (at least where I work) :) and you will come out better informed.

...and you will also come out with a bank account, three credit cards, a pet insurance policy and a mortgage... None of which you thought you needed when you went in... ;)

Edited by Mara
Hansa, I do say 10/10 !

FP's are available outside banks too. Definitely worth the conversation. The are closely monitored and can not recommend what is not in your best interest.