Gold Coast to Brisbane commute?

Helene17

We are relocating from Cape Town to Brisbane in the next few weeks! (Scary and exciting at the time!!!)

Trying to find a suitable suburb from this side of the world seems quite daunting! Any suggestions?

My husband will be working in Brisbane CBD (riverside centre).

Gareth seems to like the northern Gold Coast region as the properties look very attractive and well priced. (any comments?) He says he does not mind the commute, having grown up in Blouberg and having gone to school in the Southern suburbs.

How realistic is living on the Gold Coast when working in Brisbane? How long will it take to get to work, and how much should one budget for petrol per week?

I would appreciate any input from people living in those areas, as well as advice on Brisbane's own suburbs? As well as info on schools? We have a 4 year old and a 2 year old.

Looking forward to your replies!

I'm not sure about public transport, but driving between the Gold Coast and the CBD took just over an hour outside peak hours. It was about 80km from our hotel in Brisbane CBD to the beach south of Surfers Paradise in the Gold Coast.

I'm not sure about public transport, but driving between the Gold Coast and the CBD took just over an hour outside peak hours. It was about 80km from our hotel in Brisbane CBD to the beach south of Surfers Paradise in the Gold Coast.

FYI, the northern gold coast suburbs are a lot less than that out of peak, the gold coast starts at beenleigh, but in peak they are probably that long or more.

You will find properties in Brisbane of similar style and price so you would need another good reason I imagine to make that commute worthwhile. Parking in Brisbane can be expensive so your husband may have to consider public transport as well.

Is there similar suburbs in Brisbane like the northern suburbs of Gold Coast and how far from BNE Cbd are they? Could somebody provide names of these suburbs?

Edited by JKuhler
  • Like 1

Is there similar suburbs in Brisbane like the northern suburbs of Gold Coast and how far from BNE Cbd are they? Could somebody provide names of these suburbs?

Unfortunately there are 500 suburbs in Brisbane. If you list the type of things you are looking for (price range/style/amenities etc) we could list some examples if you like?

Well - we live in the northern suburbs (about 20km north of the cbd) and the areas I can highly recommend are:

Everton Park, Everton Hills, Mcdowall, Stafford Heights, The Gap, Albany Creek, Ferny Grove, Arana Hills. These are all wonderful (affordable) suburbs, especially for families - there are many lovely parks and walking trails in and around these areas.

My hubby works in the cbd and uses the train - it takes him 20 mins to travel to his office.

Good luck :ilikeit: :ilikeit: :ilikeit:

We wanted to live on the Gold Coast and spent our first 2 weeks there. My husband was lucky to find a job in the first week so had to commute by train the 2nd week. It is a long way and we didn't think it was worth it. We compromised and moved to Parkinson and Calamvale area. The houses are all modern, lots of trees, a lovely lake down the road. It's 40 mins to the Gold Coast so we go quite often. It's 25 mins drive to the CBD and 40 mins on an excellent bus route.

• Like 2

Well - we live in the northern suburbs (about 20km north of the cbd) and the areas I can highly recommend are:

Everton Park, Everton Hills, Mcdowall, Stafford Heights, The Gap, Albany Creek, Ferny Grove, Arana Hills. These are all wonderful (affordable) suburbs, especially for families - there are many lovely parks and walking trails in and around these areas.

My hubby works in the cbd and uses the train - it takes him 20 mins to travel to his office.

Good luck :ilikeit: :ilikeit: :ilikeit:

We wanted to live on the Gold Coast and spent our first 2 weeks there. My husband was lucky to find a job in the first week so had to commute by train the 2nd week. It is a long way and we didn't think it was worth it. We compromised and moved to Parkinson and Calamvale area. The houses are all modern, lots of trees, a lovely lake down the road. It's 40 mins to the Gold Coast so we go quite often. It's 25 mins drive to the CBD and 40 mins on an excellent bus route.

I agree with the above. I would live closer to Brisbane, as the commute every day would be quite tiresome and expensive. Lots of lovely suburbs North and South and on good PT routes. :)

• Like 1