Pre and Primary Schools in Brisbane or Gold Coast?

Helene17

My husband has just secured a job in Brisbane (yay!!!) so looks like we might be on a plane in as little as 2 weeks time!! After all this wait (he didn't want to go over without a job) it's quite daunting, what with all the packing and research on schools and suburbs to do...)

We have 2 children, aged 2 (turning 3 in July) and 4 (turning 5 in Dec)

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding good state schools? At what age do they start kindy? And for how many days/hours a week? Any suggestions of what to do with my soon-to-be 3 year-old?

We haven't narrowed down any specific areas yet, but my husband seems to like the northern gold coast (Hope island/ Helensvale / Coomera / Pimpama) areas, as it seems that you get more value for your property out there? (The houses on realestate.com certainly look very attractive from their pictures, although its difficult to judge without seeing them live!) On the other hand, the schools close to the Brisbane CBD like Ironside and Bardon seems to enjoy the best reputations!

How much difference is there in the quality of schooling? Is it worth paying all the extra cash and to live close to the CBD in an old, expensive or small place to go to a top school? (and be closer to work) Or is it better to settle around those newly built, more affordable gold coast properties at the expense of a lower ranking school and longer commute?

I would appreciate any input!

If anyone has any ideas about areas that I have not mentioned, (as there are far too many to have a proper look at) please feel free to make suggestions! I have lived in Melbourne previously, but in Brisbane feel quite out of my depth...

...How much difference is there in the quality of schooling? Is it worth paying all the extra cash and to live close to the CBD in an old, expensive or small place to go to a top school? (and be closer to work) Or is it better to settle around those newly built, more affordable gold coast properties at the expense of a lower ranking school and longer commute?

Govt schools generally follow the demographic of the area they are in. So there can be some big differences between the best, like you will find in Bardon (eg Rainworth), and the worst. I do think there are plenty of in-between options as well so just because you don't have the best doesn't mean you can't still live near a good school.

I live close to the CBD and we use an excellent local govt school but we are here for far more reasons than just the schooling. Though that is important to us. To give you an idea about what drove our decision I love the lovely green hills, the character homes, the history, the wonky lanes, a walkable suburb with nearby facilities, people out and about, great public transport, bicycle range to the CBD, close to city facilities like markets, proximity to cultural life, close to mountains, creeks, nature, numerous events, cafes, quirky shops, interesting people etc. In Brisbane you can live in a safe, beautiful family suburb like Bardon "and" be close to the CBD, you don't have to choose one or the other.

So for me as you can see from my priorities it is worth it to pay the higher price and to also get excellent schools thrown in as well. For others with different priorities it may not be worth it so I guess it is a very personal decision. If I couldn't afford it I would live in a smaller and smaller house until I could, or rent, rather than move way out into the suburbs but that is just me. I have had the big modern outer suburban house and I didn't like it. Other people absolutely love their suburban lifestyle and would not swap it for anything. Personally I would let this drive your decision more than schools as you can find decent schools in the many outer/middle ring suburbs without going totally inner city. Just be careful you don't end up in a suburb with a bad one I guess. In some areas many people are pushed into private/religious education due to the local govt school. The odds of a bad govt school seem to increase after around 10-12km from the city in my experience but that is huge guesstimate. Hope this rambling helps somehow...

Edited by Fish
  • Like 1

We have friends who moved to the Gold Coast, hubby working in Brisbane, less than a year later they are now going to move again - to Brisbane - the hour commute on the train each way just takes too much time away from the family. They knew it was an hour each way when they made that decision, but head knowledge and actually living it are two different things!

We are starting to think that staying on the gold coast might be too far away...

Any particular Brisbane suburbs that you can recommend? My husband's future boss seems to favor north Brisbane.

Are there any 'bad' areas that we should avoid?

Hey there Helene, welcome to the forum and congratulations to you hubby for getting a job before you come. It's a really good position to be and and gives others in South African still looking for work hope that t can happen for them too.

Sorry no useful information on the schools though, Fish is your man there. ;)

Apparently there is a huge group of Saffas in Kenmore also quite a large group in the greater Redlands area for example in Cleveland.

Wellington point, Cleveland, Ormsiton - some good schools there and lots of SAfricans - but still approximately1 hour on the train or by car into town so just the same as living on the GC, we live here on GC and love it - husband commuted for 2 years before finding a job here on the GC

Edited by Heather

LOTS of SAFFERS in Brisbane!!! ;)

North is good....but, I wouldn't worry too much about getting the suburb right first time around, especially since your kids are still very young and therefore, very adaptable...

Search the real estate websites for houses that you can firstly afford to rent, that can fit your family and any furniture (if you are shipping any from SA), then look at public transport options since this is cheaper to use when working in the city (and you don't want a too long a commute as you still need to be able to get to your kids quickly in an emergency), and then go from there. You will find that you will most probably only be offered a 6 month rental contract the first time around (since you are new to Aus), which means you have time to explore to find a better suited suburb once you are here.

We are living in a completely different suburb to what I had liked when looking at places on the internet...and us renting this house was by pure luck (long story)...but we are still living in it 2.5 years later.

Good luck....and it is safe to say that you cannot go wrong (in most instances). :)