GAP training for an electrician ?

stollaCPT

Ok, I've google this part and read a few things but this is where it gets confusing. Maybe someone can put if down for us in "South-African English"

So, I'm in process of applying for a 189...almost there with 60 points only need a 7 for IELTS now. Vetassess was done and successful.

Now my question is, i need to to GAP training to get my electrical licence right ? We are looking to settle down in Brisbane but Work comes first so it could change.

1. What is the best process to get my licence (even if i need to live in a different state for a few months)

2. what else do i need ?? White Card ?? Some kind of Insurance cover ??

Thanks

Hello Stolla,

I am not sure if the rules are the same as two years ago...

After receiving our 175 i applied for an Australian Recognised Trade Certificate. We only moved over after i received it.

This was my only/best option to get licensed. Completed the wiring rules course in Adelaide, received SA license and found work.

Adelaide is not the ideal place for a sparky to find work atm, i meet many aussie contractors here, good workers and they are struggling

to find permanent employment.

So you could get licensed here, and then try and have your license recognised in another state (just be aware that some states might require you to

do further training).

**I found the best advice on the British Expat forum at the time...

Good luck!

There are various ways to get your electrical license once you have your ARTC, you can work under supervision and be signed off, or go through a RTO.

In 2006, hubby had to go and do a 'trade test, practical and theory', the alternative was classes. Have a look at the electrical licensing board for QLD and see what they say.......and whilst not advertising other forums, you will pick up good advice from British expats or poms in Oz that is relevant to electricians ( it helped us a lot back then)

We've arrived in (Adelaide) Australia this month and my hubby was lucky enough to get a job with a smelter in Port Pirie where they are prepared to give him the supervised training (which could take anything between 3 months to a year). He first had to apply for a provisional license (receive it very soon after application) and will now have to attend the GAP traing course in Adelaide for three weeks.

Try and contact a company called Peer Veet in Adelaide if you're going to South Australia (ask for Rebecca) as they will be giving the 3 weeks course as well as the log book that needs to be signed off during the supervised training. They have also advised us that my husband could apply for an immegrant's grant that could help pay towards this GAP training.

Rebecca admitted that there is a problem of companies not employing sparkys if they do not have the Australian A class lisence, but what do you do to get your supervised training and your log book signed off, if no one wants to employ you? Sort of a catch 22 situation. The place that employed my husband found out about this whole process of supervised training when my husband mentioned that he first needed that. It is new to them as well and they'll be learning what it entails with my husband starting there.

Just make sure that the companies you apply with, are aware that this is the case and that you need the supervised training.

Hope this helps! :-)

Thanks Cheryl,

This was very valuable info. I will contact PEER.

Regards

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

"Trades Test" at PEER in Adelaide

Hello all. I'm wondering in anyone has been through an electrical ‘Trades Test’ at Peer in Adelaide? My scenario is slightly different from normal as I am already working in Australia but PEER have said that I will need to do a 'trades test' which then determines what gap training I need to complete.

After this I still need to do the usual 12 months of work experience all documented on the eprofiling system.

Does anyone have an idea of what kind of things are tested in the 'trades test'?
Cheers

James