Leaving Soon

GottaGo

Question

So, after 5 years in Perth we will be leaving for Scotland (my husband's place of birth) in a couple of months time.

For the first time in ages I have a spring in my step and renewed excitement about the future. I have posted here before about not being happy in Australia (shock, horror) and not relating to the culture.

Good luck to all of you who feel at home here, but Australia is not for us.

Sally M.

• Like 4

Good luck Sally, hope its all you wish for it to be. Its horrible to be in limbo.

We lived in London for 11 happy years, but it had run its natural course and we have no regrets moving away, no unfinished business there at all. We are now very happy in Sydney and getting the keys to our own piece of the Aussie pie tomorrow, very exciting. Cant wait to have a house that belongs to me, finally.

Bon Voyage.

ps. I got married in Oban. Glad you moving over in Summer.

Edited by rozellem
  • Like 3

You know what the British say about Aussies. Whats the difference between yoghurt and an Aussie ? Yoghurt has more culture.

I can relate to what you are saying about the culture.

I have never been to Scotland, yet the landscape looks magnificent and it is on my wish list.

All the best for the future Sally.

• Like 1

Thanks, Rozellem. We were in London in October last year and loved being there again. (Was there years ago on a working holiday.) The shows and museums and choice of restaurants. And between us we have more friends and family over there than here! Not to mention nipping over to Europe now and again.

Enjoy your new home. We'll be back to renting for a good while!

:)

• Like 1

Good luck with your move, may it be everything you wish for!

As a Scot, I can't fathom how Scotland is going to be an improvement for you. I don't know your circumstances, but there is a reason there are so many Scots in Australia.

Best of luck though!

• Like 1

Good luck with your move and all the best, find your happiness

Thanks for all the lovely good wishes. Pleasantly surprised. There's usually always some old grump who comes along and rains on my parade. Oh, wait...

I'm a Scot too, well born in Yorkshire from Scottish parents and returned to Scotland from RSA for 4 years in my twenties.........most Scots spend all year saving so they can have a couple of holidays abroad......lol....where exactly are you going in Scotland?

Yes it is beautiful in parts, but you may find people less cultured and with a greater "island mentality' dependent on where you go.....that said I hope you end up somewhere lovely.

Myself, I just couldn't go back to that weather and a number of other things, but is an adventure all the same, just remember that it will be 'home' for hubby, but you may need a little more time to adjust.

Good luck and i hope you will be very happy.

I was last there in 2010. Id rather live there than SA but dear god, it has NOTHING on Australia. The people are as miserable as the weather, the kids are violent delinquents and you'd be extremely lucky to get a decent job. In the month I was there, I don't think i met anyone with any sort of ambition or a 5 year plan of any sorts. It would drive me nuts.

Sorry Gottago! Hehe

• Like 1

Thanks for your concerns. We know exactly what we going to, having visited almost once a year since we have been in Oz (and before that, too). We have eyes very wide open. And the main reason we have decided to go now is that husband has secured an EXCELLENT job. Certainly don't expect a country without its problems. Might be a wee bit dim, but not entirely thick.

Keep flying that Aussie flag.

• Like 1

Good luck with the move.

Wishing you all the happiness in the world :hug: .

Two grumps.......lol....I assumed you had never been, but you have, so you know what you are going to, and weather aside, i would pick Scotland above going back to RSA. A good job makes all the difference.

My sister is in Ireland and loving it.

There are lots of things I miss, but have really settled well here in Queensland. We started off in Perth and then Albany, but I fit better here in QLD, so that only proves that each of us is an individual and needs to find where we mesh best.

What town are you headed to?

• Like 1

Thanks for all the lovely good wishes. Pleasantly surprised. There's usually always some old grump who comes along and rains on my parade. Oh, wait...

Apologies if I mis-read the initial tone of your posts but it seems to me like you almost hoped somebody would question your move so you could shoot back... Or at least that's how it reads. Maybe I don't know the history behind your previous posts but that's how it looks.

Best of luck in Scotland. It's fair enough, we all can't like the same things and if Aus isn't for you, nothing wrong with that.

I miss certain aspects of the UK. Not enough to go back, but would love to visit some time for a stroll down memory lane.

A friend of mine who is a born and bred Aussie is about to head back to Scotland as well. He came back to Aus, things haven't worked out for him so he's heading back.

He is worried about job prospects over there though as he struggled last time he was there Mind if I ask what industry your husband is in?

Edited by HansaPlease

Its different strokes for different folks, I guess. My 'concern' is the comment re Australian culture. I dont understand how Scotland's culture could be a step up. It's a much less friendly and outgoing society.

But as I alluded to, I'm sure there's a lot more to it. My dream is to retire in Scotland or if I'm rich enough, to share time between both countries. I cant see that happening though and I'm bitter about it. So please dont take it personally, GottaGo.

Gaun yersel hen

• Like 1

Hey GottaGo, Good luck with the move to Scotland, I hope that things go well for you guys and that you find happiness there. It really does not help staying somewhere if you are not happy.

Good luck with the move...I hope you find happiness and peace :) The best thing about choices is that you can make them, break them, do whatever you wish...and it's none of anyone's business in the end...but yours. Happy landings...Scotland is definately on my bucket-list...before i die I have to visit one of those lovely medieval castles!

• Like 2

Hansa Please - husband is in the Marine industry.

Springjock - Ah dinnae ken ocht aboot the Scotland ye speak of. But we won't get into a debate about who we think is friendlier nation as I don't think we'll EVER agree on that one. The Scots I have met have been amongst the friendliest, most genuine and most hospitable people I have met ANYWHERE in the world. Emphasis on genuine. You are the first person I have ever heard describe the Scots as unfriendly. Granted in the smaller villages they will be wary of incomers, but the Scots unfriendly? You winding me up again? I know it's easily done. ;)

Will certainly update you all once we are over there in the Northern Hemisphere glued to the radiators.

Thanks to the others for your good wishes. :)

PS: This moving around the globe sure is an expensive business. We are fortunate in that the new company is paying us a generous relocation fee which takes the sting out of it. But if we didn't make the move now, financially we would most likely be stuck here really.

Edited by GottaGo
  • Like 2

PS: If anyone is in Perth and seriously looking to buy in Secret Harbour, send me a message and I'll send you the details. ( 4 x 2, below ground pool). Home Open on Sunday.

... a knife in your sock .... :)

All the best on your journey! :ilikeit: